Sunday, June 18, 2006

Pre-Father's Day Dinner

Happy Father's Day to all the daddies out there!

Since we'll be spending today between my parent's house and Wil's parent's house, I figured I'd fix Wil a nice Father's Day dinner last night.

Now you have to understand two things before you can appreciate the beauty of this meal:

1. Wil isn't into gourmet food.
2. I absolutely despise pizza!

So what did I make for him? Let's look and see...



First up: Dough-knots. A local restaurant serves these, swimming in butter and garlic and with a side of alfredo for dipping. They are sinful and delicious! Here's my attempt at recreating them. They weren't bad, although I used a lot less butter. I did sprinkle some parmesan cheese over the tops just before taking them out of the oven. Both of the boys enjoyed them.



And here's the pizza. Instead of red sauce, I used the leftover alfredo sauce as a base on top of a homemade garlic, parmesan and basil crust. I then layered spinach, tomatoes, chicken, red onions, dollops of ricotta, more parmesan and some chopped fresh basil from the plant outside and sprinkled with a mozzarella and cheddar-jack blend. I would have preferred plain old mozzarella, but didn't have any in the fridge. Now, as stated above, I can't stand pizza, but this was hardly pizza. More like good food on a crisp cracker. It's amazing what a difference there is between home-made pizza and the crap you either buy in the store or order from a shop. This absolutely proves it. I ate two slices. Jonas ate the cheese off of it.



And for dessert- something homey and playful. These are my ghetto version of rice krispy treats- only they're made with the cheerio's that Jonas refuses to eat. And instead of all the butter melted down with the marshmallows, I used mostly peanutbutter with just a little regular butter because without it the mixture was too sticky to stir! And as it cooled and was pressed into the pan, I tossed in a few chocolate chips to keep J-man interested. They aren't bad, to be honest, and a little better for you than the sugar-laden rice krispy version. At least, I can fool myself into believing that due to the peanutbutter in them. We've affectionately dubbed these "Monkey Bars" because Jonas likes them with bananas and, well, he's a monkey. :)

Anyway, that's the dinner round-up. I'm off to toss a dirty, jelly and butter covered baby in the tub and get ready for brunch at Daddy Dave's.

1 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

I can't stand pizza either. But that looks like quite a pizza. The whole meal looks great in fact.

And you guys look happy. That's so cool.

Just thought I'd drop in.

Be well.

~ James

 

Post a Comment

<< Home