Friday, July 07, 2006

One Croc, two crocs...




I did it! I finished my second croc this afternoon.

Not bad for a first pair of socks, but I've realized one very important thing: I need to work on my gauge! The sock on the left in this picture is significantly smaller than the one on the right. While it wasn't so much smaller that it didn't fit over my big old foot, it was a tight squeeze. I'm hoping that wearing it will stretch it some.

I also think that if I had used a stretchier yarn it wouldn't be such a big deal. This stuff is gorgeous, and it feels nice on my foot- much nicer than a wool would feel in this hot weather, but it certainly lacks elasticity.

So, it's official, I've got the sock bug. As soon as I finished this one, I immediately began searching for the next pattern to try. I've got a little more than one ball of the tangelo yarn left, which should be enough to make a pair of ankle socks. And of course, I have the gorgeous yarn that Amanda sent me just waiting for me to play with. Hmmm... what to do next?

And for the first time in quite a long time, I have no current projects on the needles, except for a blanket I started a long time ago that I've decided to scratch. I just don't like the way it's turning out. Probably because I started it before I learned the difference between good yarn and crap. It's definitely crap. Hmmm... any suggestions on what to do with two skeins of crappy yarn? I suppose it'll make fine cat toys.

4 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Hooray and congratulations! They look mahvelous! My Mardi Gras socks turned out different sizes, too--I switched from dpns on one to a circular on the other and wound up with different gauges (both were US4). Oh, well. They're just socks, right?
Lots of socks at Knitty.com. The new issue just came out and if you can wade through all the dumb fingerless mitts, you will be handsomely rewarded. Also--cat toys.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Why thank you! :) Not sure what happened with mine. I knit both on the exact same needles, so it must have been more of a problem with my tension. I started on a pair of ankle socks yesterday, and man! I'm loving those short row heels! Is there any reason why you would do one method over another, or is it more of a personal preference? They just seem so much easier, and they knit up so much faster.

I wasn't too impressed with the new knitty. I will, however, check out the archive for some sock inspiration.

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Yeah, the new Knitty kinda sucked. I don't think a lot of folks were impressed with it, either, so you're in good company, there. :)

I really like short rowed heels, too. I think it's really just a matter of preference. Some people may find that a flap heel fits better or something. I like the rounded-ness of the short rows. Plus I think they're just WAY clever and I don't like picking up stitches and doing gusset decreases. Are you getting to use the Fixation? How are the colors, btw? I don't think I really know what you like, yet. :)

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Well, then I've officially adopted my new heel method. They are so much easier, and look so much... less clunky?

I haven't used to fixation yarn yet. I'm one of those weirdos that has to wait for just the right pattern to come along or else I'll feel like I'm "wasting" it. I'm using up the rest of my croc yarn, instead.

I'm doing the ankle socks, and since I don't have a set of size 3 dpn's I decided I'd use my size 1's that I used for the crocs and just increase the nuber of stitches to compensate. Well, I did that, and it's working great, except, when I did the heel I forgot to increase the number of stitches that aren't worked, and so I've got a really pointy heel. I'm debating whether I'm a perfectionist and want to go back and rip it out, or if I can tell myself that it's just a sock and leave it alone. It's not that noticeable, really. I'm just afraid it'll bunch up a little when worn.

It's fun being a newbie and learning all these silly mistakes the hard way. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home