Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Rumplestiltskin ain't got nothin' on me!

Sure, the mythical troll turned staw into gold, but who needs that much gold, anyway? Me, I turned baby clothes into yarn. Beat that!

My parents had a garage sale this weekend and, seeing as how I had a literal TON of outgrown baby clothes in my shed (seriously, I had more clothes than would fit in my car to haul over there, and my car is fairly roomy!) I decided to see what I could make off of them.

Well, I sold about 1/3 of everything I took over there and I made about $200. Wahoo! Yarn money!

So, yesterday J and I took a drive to A.C. Moore because they had Patons on sale for $3.99. Along with that, they had Sugar and Cream for $1.17, but even at the good price, I couldn't make myself buy any. I've still got plenty of the cotton that I won in Gretchen's raffle. Nonetheless, I stocked up well on just about everything I needed for Christmas knitting, and only spent a little of my $200.

J and I had a snack at Panera Bread, checked out Michaels who also had wool on sale for $4. If I'd known that, I might have skipped A.C. Moore, since Michaels was closer. We were going to hit JoAnn, too, but J was tired and fell asleep on the way home.

We also went and got Dada his birthday gift, a couple of cards, a Tres Leches cake, which I wouldn't have a clue how to make on my own, and a cuban sandwich for dinner. All that, and I still have $40 in my pocket. Yay!

It feels good to have money again, no matter how short-lived it might have been.

J and I are going to go get our hair cut today, and we'll stop by the consignment shop on the way home to see how they buy baby clothes. I don't know if they'd prefer I pick out the nice matching outfits, or if they'll give me a price per pound sort of deal. If I could get a dollar a pound, I'd probably have another $200! Otherwise, I'll give them to the sharing center. Funny, isn't it? I'd much rather give something away for free to someone I know needs it than be low-balled by someone who can afford to pay a fair price.

At one point over the weekend I had a lady offer to buy every bit of it if I'd give her a good price. I started adding up what a fair price might be in my head, and thinking of all the thousands of dollars worth of clothes sitting there, I just couldn't come up with one that she would accept. Just a few hours after she left, I picked through the rack and gave away a lot of the cutest outfits, most still with tags, to a friend whose sister just had a baby.

Another thing that amazes me is the crap people try to BS you with while haggling over a quarter! I can't tell you how many people in this town are buying baby clothes for underpriveledged children and orphans. *rolls eyes* I'm sure there are a few that are sincerely doing so, but puh-leese! And if you truly are doing so, you can use it as a tax write-off, so go ahead and pay me full price!

3 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

People are so weird!
I'd rather give stuff away, too, than be lowballed. At least you know the people you give it to will appreciate it! :)
Yay for yarn money! *grin*

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger me said...

I am with the consensus here. Haggling and knowing someone's deliberately trying to low-ball you is not what transpires in the trading pits "ideally." Sure it happens.

But if you're quarter bid for a small quantity and some huge local comes in and bids three quarters for a thousand, everyone and their brother will sell. When the market's not that liquid and yer the only guy, you should be able to stand firm at where you're offering to sell. "Sell it at a half!" And they're not budging at quarter bid. And the same local comes in and offers a ton at even, all you can do is blink, sigh and move forward.

These are quarter cents I'm talking about Angie!

Ah, the wonderful world of entrepenuerial wills.

UGH!

;-)

My word verification: botndig

bought and dig?

or BOT (board of trade) indignation?

I so have to stop pausing on my word verifications like that!

Hugs, Angie!

Give them away. It feels much better! ;-)

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you for clearing space and making some money. You're set with your yarn for Christmas gifts? Bonus!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home