Thursday, October 19, 2006

So much for monogamy

Throughout my rather short time as an avid knitter, I've always managed to keep just one project going at a time. You see, I know how I can be-- get more than one thing going, and the less exciting project ends up stuffed in a drawer or a closet and forgotten about. I've always remedied that with strict self-discipline.

Ok Angie, you can start playing with that pretty ball of mohair and that neat lace pattern just as soon as you finish this million row of stockinette thing you're working on right now.

See, it works, I finish the snooze project, and it give me something to look forward to.

Yesterday I let it all slide and, despite only having just cast on for the second little J sock moments before, pulled out that pretty, soft, fuzzy ball of mohair and started on a Falling Leaves scarf, instead.

I hang my head in shame, but not too low, because I am absolutely loving lace knitting! This is my first attempt at it, and I'm only on my fourth repeat of the pattern, but I'm hooked! It's so soft and light and yummy. And there's something so rewarding about taking that dangling wad of holey fabric and stretching it out into something amazingly beautiful and delicate, isn't there?

I suppose I picked a good time to cheat on my one project rule because when my eyes cross from following the lace pattern, I can drop it and pick up my simple, no frills little J sock and get lost in some mindless K3P2 ribbing for a while.

Pictures will be posted later.

I just spent 5 straight hours staring at this monitor doing transcription files for my course. My eyes are about to pop out of their sockets. It's kicking my ass, to be honest. I really thought I had a good grasp on grammar and language until I started listening to and trying to decipher what someone is mumbling into a recorder. That, coupled with the fact that it's not going as quickly as I thought it would, and the quickly dwindling savings account that's keeping us afloat without my paycheck is making me wonder if I might have made a bad move here.

It has to get easier the more you do it, right?

1 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

And that's exactly why knitters have more than one project going at a time. . . Welcome to the dark side. *grin*
You have to have one "small, easy to travel with", one "complicated, gotta look at the chart", one "totally brainless", one "new technique" or "just for me", one "instant gratification" and one "good in front of the tv" . . . need I go on? LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home