Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Adopted

Lord knows that I didn't ask for this...

The day after Christmas I stepped out my front door to take some of the empty boxes and trash out. At the end of my driveway there were several of the neighborhood stray cats hanging around. You see, for years the elderly lady around the corner has fed and cared for them and offered them shelter in her garage, only now she is gone, and all these poor cats are displaced and desperate for a handout.

In all the years, I've never once given in because, frankly, I can't afford to feed a colony of wild cats and I don't want them hanging around with all their unvaccinated kitty diseases.

As I dragged the boxes around the corner and set them alongside the trash cans, they all scattered. All but one. This little kitten, probably no more than 12 weeks old came running up the driveway, sat down on my foot and mewed the most pathetic little noise I've ever heard. It was as if she were saying "You're all I've got lady. Please save me." Then she proceded to literally climb up my leg, purring, and rub her head against my elbow.

Oh, Jeez! I tried to shoo her away, but she kept coming back, and being the softie that I am, I brought her out a small dish of food.

Ever since, she's stayed underneath my car, and waits for me to come out and visit her.

She's the most affectionate and sweet little kitten I've ever seen, and I can't help but love her.

Now, let's be realistic. I don't need or want another cat. And taking her in would be committing myself to some hefty expenses. I mean, if she were to be integrated into our home, she'd need her vaccines, an FELV/FIV combo test, spaying, and by the looks of her eyes and the grumble in her throat, she probably has an upper respiratory infection- meaning a round or two of antibiotics.

I just can't go there. Even with the fact that I work for the vet and get most of my services at cost, or for free, the price is just too high for a pet we don't want or need right now.

But, all the same, I can't just sit and watch her suffer.

Could you resist this?


5 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Blogger Eve said...

She is so CUTE! And yeah, my heart is too big too, I would've taken her in. I really REALLY want a kitty and have wanted one since I had to get rid of my last one 2 years ago. :(

So, do you have a name for her? ;)

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Heh, I think I'll call her "Eve's new kitty." Seriously, do you want her? I can't possibly bring a third cat into this house.

Worst case scenario she'll live here in my yard and I'll feed her and do what I can for her, but I'd much rather see her go to a good home.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger me said...

To be honest, I would not have been able to resist, either, Angie. I miss our cats!!!

*hugs!*

Ya did good hon.

:-)

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Roy said no. :(

Boo.

Maybe you can take her to an ASPCA so someone can adopt her??

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

No problem Eve. I'm going to hang onto her here until after the holidays, and then I'll give the rescue lady I know a call. If that doesn't work out, Wil's trying to convince a coworker that she needs a cat. And if that doesn't work, I'll give her a ride to the no-kill shelter in the north part of the county. I just can't drop her off at the local shelter where they're already over-run with cats and kittens so that she can be euthanized with no chance for adoption. She's just too sweet for that.

Truth be told, I'm in love with her, and so is J. But we just CAN'T keep her. Three cats is too many, you know?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home