Monday, December 18, 2006

Productive

Something about going back to work has triggered my productive gene, which until now has been dormant. Maybe it's simply because I'm forced to organize my time better, or because I'm forced to wake up so much earlier. Whatever it is, it feels good to be getting so much accomplished.

Done-
Christmas shopping! Yes! I finished it over the weekend. Ok, so I have a couple of gift cards to pick up, and maybe a little thing or two for J's stocking, but the bulk of it is finished. Most is wrapped. I'm feeling very ahead of my game. Maybe even proud.

Done-

Christmas cards. Yep, done and mailed. If you didn't get one, sorry. It's probably because I've lost/never had your address and not because I don't love you. Those that did get them will notice my lack of originality. They look just like last year's, only J is a year older.

Done-

Shipping. Ok, so I cheated a little here and made a lot of my purchases online and let someone else deal with the shipping hassles for me. But I did pay my dues and stand in line at the post office today to get out the one box of stuff that I didn't order online.

This is the first year of my adult life that I've actually completed all of my holiday stuff with time to spare. Yes, I admit it... I'm a last minute procrastinator. So shoot me.

And I find it rather amazing how much stuff you can get done just by leaving work a couple of hours early one day a week. Today, because I wasn't feeling too hot (I've got a yucky cold), I left a little early thinking I'd get a little nap in before picking up J. Those of you who know me better than I obviously know myself know that I NEVER take naps, or sit still for that matter. And so instead of a two hour nap, I stopped by the store, picked up a few necessities, then came home to get my debit card so I could get to the post office. When I pulled into the driveway I couldn't help but be overwhelmed by the fact that our yard was looking rather scraggy (sure it's a word- look it up) and so I broke out the lawnmower and scratched that off the to-do list. You read that right- lawnmowing a week before Christmas. There's something inherently wrong with that, I know. But it's done, and hopefully for the last time until March. *crossing fingers*

And now for all the things I HAVEN'T finished.

Knitting- I've finished up a couple of small things that are to be gifts, but I fell terribly short of my goal for handknit gifts for Christmas. WAY short. But that's ok, I guess. I mean, I just have something to look forward to in the new year. Not to mention a killer fully stocked stash cabinet full of yummy yarns and no deadlines.

There are a few things that I finished which I'm not particularly proud of. I can't give specifics here since the recipient reads my blog, but let's just say that I suck at colorwork and duplicate stitching sucks when trying to do a lighter color over dark. I keep wishing that I had used a double strand on the duplicate to sort of fill it in more. Too late now, though.


Housework- My productivity around the house has really suffered due to the fact that I've been productive everywhere else. I dare you to find an inch of usable counterspace in the kitchen. It's not filthy or anything, it's just that the kitchen seems to be our dumping ground when we walk in the front door. Mail, reciepts, whatever. It all ends up on the kitchen counter, which is small to start with. Needless to say, I haven't cooked a single meal in a week. Ok, so there was a pot of soup a few days ago, but besides that, nothing. And I don't feel too bad about it, either.

Cat litter- this is one of those things that I can no longer procrastinate on, or else I risk mutiny. So, I will do it first thing in the morning. (I promise, kitties)

Sleep- Don't know if it's the cold medicine I popped yesterday, or just some normal whacky body rhythm, or what, but I can't seem to get more than a couple of hours of sleep, and even then it's dream-laden and unrestful. So, with that said, and J already conked out, I think I'll go put on some comfy jammies and cuddle up in bed with my boys.

2 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's quite a list of accomplishments when you put them all together like that. You should feel really good about that. And something's always got to give when you spend your time doing anything else. I'm especially impressed by your mowing the lawn when you came home early from work. If it were me, the nap would win out, no contest.

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my....your post brought me back in time to being a young mother. How did I ever get everything done? I need all day to get dressed now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home