Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Ask and you shall receive

Yesterday I took both of the cats with me to work to have their regular checkups and urinalyses to determine which one is making my life a urine-soaked hell.

Despite being caged or crated since 6 am, by 2:40 that afternoon both of them had still refrained from using their litter boxes with the nosorb (non-absorbent *duh*) litter. I suppose they felt it necessary to do everything the hard way, and stretch my wallet to the limit in the process. So, two cystocentesis later, and we've got pee, which I could readily have retrieved from a number of inappropriate places around my house, if only I knew who it belonged to. You can refer to my previous post to see how I feel about that.

I'd like to take this moment to personally and publicly thank Dr. T. for his virtuous patience and tolerance for my satan cats who were both hell-bent on destroying anything pink and fleshy presenting in a nicely pressed labcoat. For the record- I gave him permission to tank them or beath them at his discretion.

So, depositing the difficultly collected specimens in the lab, I utter to the tech that "someone BETTER have a problem!"

Ends up they both do. And of course, they have two separate problems.

Of course they do.


Problem one: Chloe- UTI with some blood. Treatment: A week of antibiotics.

Problem two: Bumper- crystals. Treatment: A lifetime of specialized diet, to hopefully keep the crystals from turning into stones which will then require cystotomy. Great.

And so, with fingers ravaged from poking pills down the evil cat's throat today, and rationing out the rather expensive prescription food, I wonder why in the heck I always end up with the defective ones?

And for the record, cats don't particularly like scheduled feedings when they accustomed to their bowls being constantly available for grazing.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger me said...

Mom's sitting here in stiches over "kitty stupid" and "kitty effing," hon. LOL

Mom recounted a tale of my 23 year old nephew whom she got on the phone once when he was two and told him, "Gramma loves you, Johnny. Gamma loves you." To which he responded, "Boolsit, Mama."

OMG!


Hope there'll be no more urince incidents, Angie. As I was reading I realized our cat Lucky some years ago became like that but I imagine it was because she was 16 and nearing the end. I assume your cats are much younger.

Thank God you got some answers, though.

*HUGS!*

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Dang animules. I don't know if B told you, but Pretzel has had her fair share lately, too. She went down in her back legs this weekend and is now on muscle relaxers and steroids. At least it's not surgery, I suppose! And she has some elevated bloodwork levels, too, which we have to follow up on in 2 weeks. Could be nasty, could be nothing. We'll see. Hope your kitties start using that litter box soon! :)

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Well I'm glad you were able to figure out what's wrong with the kitties! I never knew that peeing everywhere meant there was a physical problem -I just figured they were stubborn. It would've done us a lot of good to figure this out YEARS ago as one of our cats peed on EVERYTHING from the couch to the shoe area/book bags and corners of EVERY room.

Now the kitties need to get better and STAY better. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home