Friday, March 02, 2007

Friday Grumble

Am I really allowed to grumble this early in the morning?

There's been a nasty virus thing going around the office. It seems to go something like this- you start with a sore throat. Then comes the runny nose, fever, chills, headache part of it. When you think it can't possibly get any worse, there's the gastrointestinal team stepping up to make your life just that much more miserable.

I went to bed last night with the sore throat/cough, which progressed overnight to the fevers, chills part. So, I spent the night sleeping in flannel, despite the 80+ temperatures outside, and the rather balmy 76 that I set the thermostat to. (sorry to make you sweat, boys) I slept that weird sick sleep that's full of strange dreams and lots of tossing, only to be awakened at 3:00 by a puking cat. Nice.

On top of that, one of the cats, and I can't figure out which one, has a UTI and has been peeing in places she shouldn't- like on my couch! I swear, I'm ready to send them both packing. I mean, I know it's not her fault, but couldn't she pick a nice square of tile floor instead of the couch?!

Fortunately, there's this stuff I've found in all my years of cleaning up critter messes that really does take the smell and stain out of just about everything, and I always have some on hand, just in case. So, the couch, while bearing a giant water ring, is clean and odor free. Now, to figure out who the culprit is. I guess I'll separate them into the bathrooms with just food and water and litter and narrow it down that way. Fun times at the Mommyleek house.

Lately, it seems like everything I knit is a disaster. I've frogged more in the past few weeks than I have in my entire year and a half as a knitter. No matter what I do, things just don't seem to work out. I know I could probably relieve some of my stress by simply doing a better job of swatching. But come on, do YOU really swatch every single thing you knit? I mean, do you really take the time to swatch something that isn't a garment and is going to be felted? Tell the truth.

And hats... by the time you knit a swatch, you've pretty much got a hat anyway. I posted a while ago about knitting a hat for a 3-year-old girl who is going to be undergoing chemo. Well, despite my best efforts, I have frogged 4, yes 4 different hats for her. I don't know why I have such trouble knitting hats. Even going down two needle sizes hasn't alleviated the problem. Fortunately, I've only gotten about an inch or two into the pattern each time before realizing it's not working- in other words, I could wear it as a belt. :)

So, I'll be casting on again for it over the weekend. Hopefully my streak of bad luck will run it's course by then.

And now, despite the fact that I have more negativity to spew, it is time (or past time, rather) for me to be off to work, dragging my sleeping toddler along with me. It doesn't seem fair to have to wake your kid up at this ungodly hour, does it?

Hope everyone's weekend is off to a great start.

2 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, Blogger Gretchen said...

Ugh. Sorry about the sickies and the poor kitty.

And, yes, my name is Gretchen and I don't always swatch (hello, Gretchen!). Scarves, bags, etc...never. I eyeball it. Garments...yeah. But I don't wash the swatch and I've been known to guess down or up a needle if the first swatch doesn't turn out.

I just ripped back a bunch today on a hat for the very same little girl. Not for a swatch problem, but because I am crocheting and I haven't done it in so long that I wonked something up on a round six rows back and couldn't stop noticing it.

It probably wouldn't have mattered in the end, but it kept shouting obsenities at me (and, really, who wants their little girl to wear a hat that shouts obsenities?).

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Naah, they pick up the obscenities quickly enough on their own. :)

Thanks for making me feel better about the swatching thing. Sometimes I just need the instant gratification of working on "something".

And yeah, I do that, too, the guessing up or down instead of taking the time to swatch again. I bet if you were to do an anonymous survey, 90 % of knitters would admit to the same.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home