Thursday, November 08, 2007

Going to Hell in a Hurry

I actually had a cute little post planned for tonight. One that included heart-melting pictures of little puppies with huge amounts of determination. Instead, you get to hear me rant about how this town, and this world in general, is going to crap.

Hubby was just robbed. 6:30pm, and along the side of a rather busy road. And of course, no one saw a thing.

A little background... hubby delivers medical equipment. He drives a big white van with the name of a major medical provider on the side of it. His office is located in a horrible area of town, less than a block from the river, less than a block from the homeless shelter, and directly behind a pay by the hour sort of motel of ill repute. He's frequently been approached by less than savory individuals requesting a handout, or some food, or the bolder ones ask for drugs. You see, it makes sense, since he's driving a van full of medical stuff, that he might also be carrying a little more... say hydrocodone. And for the record, he doesn't. About the most potent thing he has on board is oxygen. But anyway...

He's on call this week, which means that he's the last driver back to the shop, and when he gets there, everyone else is gone. Now, he has to stop in to replenish his van for the night in case he's called, and to unload any equipment that he may have picked up. I've never liked the idea of him being there after hours, by himself, in the dark, but what can you do?

So far he's been lucky, as have all the other drivers, but tonight the call of nature took over logic, and he left the van unlocked long enough to run into the shop and take care of business. Dumb move, but hey, what are the odds?

They cleaned him out-- wallet, radio, whatever else was in the van, GPS.

Now, believe me, I'm not sweating the little stuff. The only thing I give a damn about is that my husband is alive and ok. The rest of the stuff-- just a minor inconvenience.

I'm not one of those people who's oblivious to reality, but I do tend to be quite trusting, and I do like to give people, and the world in general, the benefit of the doubt. I think I'm over that now.

t

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:53 PM, Blogger Eve said...

UGH! What is wrong with people! I hate this world more often than not lately! :( I am glad Wil is all right though!

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Michele said...

OMG!! I am glad Wil is ok. Your right, the world is going to crap. Is his comp going to hold this against him??

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Kris B said...

So sorry this happened, but am glad to hear your husband didn't get hurt.

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Holy crap!!! I am so glad Wil was in the building at the time and not in the truck. *shivers* Of course, now comes the pain-in-the-ass that is canceling/replacing all the stuff in his wallet. Ick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home