Monday, October 01, 2007

Wow... just wow

To somewhat quote Michele, how did it get to be October already?

It's not that there's been a whole lot going on, it just seems like the normal stuff takes up more time than it used to.

Ok, to be fair, I've picked up an extra shift at work to help offset the cost of J's speech therapy, so that eats up another day of my usual knit/blog/do housework time. I know, all you full-time working, family raising folks can stop rolling your eyes now, but I'm just not that good at time management, or scheduling, or something. I'm finding it overwhelming, and even with the extra shift I'm only working 3 days a week, four if it's my week to work Saturday. But to my credit, those days, except for Tuesdays, start hours before the sun comes up, and I usually don't make it back home until well after it's set.

Enough whining though, I'm just in a strange sort of funk. Odd really, because the weather has been cooling off, and usually fall is when I start to feel more alive and peppy than any other time of the year. I'll get over myself sooner or later, right?

The knitting world hasn't been treating me all that great, either. The shrug that I've been working on is currently in time out. You see, I chose it because it looked like a no-brain sort of project, two sleeves, a simple lace pattern across the back... yeah, well, somewhere in the first lace repeat I managed to get off track and, well, I'm trying to decide if I even like the project enough to rip back, or just frog it completely. Let's face it... dusty rose is not exactly my color, and I'm just not digging it at all. But there's a lot of time in those sleeves, and it seems a shame to just give up on it, so I'm giving it a little time in the corner, and we'll see if it comes out with a different attitude.



That leaves my little ribbed socks, which I'm nearly done with, but can't seem to find the oomph to finish. Yeah, how much oomph do you need to knit the foot of a ribbed sock? But still... it's coming along slowly.

I did finish a really teeny-tiny little project, and that did some good for my ego, but I can't show you just yet. I think I'm going to start knitting Barbie clothes for my friend's 4 year old, just so I can have the feeling of accomplishment that comes along with a FO.

But, when I've not been knitting, I've been teaching myself to spin. Look:


It's not very even, ranging anywhere from laceweight to sport, but I'm proud considering it's not a big lumpy tangle. The more I play with the spindle, the more I love it. It's quite cathartic, the repetitive motion of spinning. Possibly even more mindless than miles of stockinette. And again, there's the instant gratification of saying "look what I've made here."

Michele and I are planning on knitting the ballet cami together, just as soon as we both have the time and financial resources to order yarn for it, so there's that to look forward to. And I've got a whole queue full of stuff I want or need to knit over at ravelry, which is quite addictive. And I foolishly signed up for nakniswemo, which I'm starting to think I'll drop out of before I even get started.

Oh well, if only there were more hours in the day.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is J's therapy going? Is J staying with Wil's mother again while you pick up shifts? I tried to call Sunday but your cell phone apparently didn't feel like working. :/

I actually think that dusty rose would look great on you, but that's just my opinion. Is your mistake really that glaringly obvious? I thought you were just going to be wearing it in front of your computer anyway.

By the way, Emily's babysitter (which had been working all of 2 days) flaked on me, so she's now enrolled in Parents' Day Out at a local church. I had the opportunity to take a tour of it today since classes were canceled (due to a fatal shooting that happened in front of the on-campus townhouse/apartment complex I used to live in...but that's another story) and really liked it, so I hope she has better experiences than J did in daycare.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but I just wanted to talk to you. At least your blog doesn't give me error messages like your phone does. :) Love ya, sis.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Geez, seems like you are working a lot lately. At least you still get to stay home a few days with J.

I so know what you mean about the funk. It may take a while to get through it but you will. May meeting up for a knit night and starting the cami will help.

I love the shrug and that color would definitely look good on you. If you are not that far into the back, just rip it and start over.

Love your Spinning!! It looks so good! Where did you get your fiber from? i have not tried spinning since the fiber in. I need to get some more fiber.

Have a good day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home