Thursday, November 06, 2008

Random bits of nothing

A few days since my last post, but I'm having trouble finding uplifting, or even interesting things to blog about.

I've always loved fall-- the time of year when we can finally open up windows around here and turn off the a/c for a bit without suffocating or making the house feel like a sauna. And in truth, I still do love it. But for the first time ever I'm also feeling the effects of the shorter days. I know so many people who go around saying they suffer from something called 'seasonal affective disorder', and I've always just sort of rolled my eyes at them. But maybe there's a bit of truth to it. It just seems like there aren't enough hours in the day. I'm up and gone before sunrise, home well after dark, and I wonder if I'll ever see the sun at all. The list of things to do gets longer, and the hours get shorter. I find myself wanting to go to bed around 8, but most of the time I'm not even home from work by then. *sigh*

There's also a rash of stressful things going on in general around here. Mostly a house in need of some major attention and TLC, and that attention and TLC takes money that we don't have to spend, but every day we put it off, it's probably just adding to the cost of fixing it.

The things on my Christmas wish list this year are things like shed doors, window screens, a screen door with a screen intact and that actually latches instead of banging harshly against it's frame. A new refrigerator, a dryer (or a clothesline, even), a new septic/drain field. A water softener that works, since ours hasn't in over a year, and do you know how disgusting FL well water is? Let's not go there. I'm not even sure it's suitable for use.

Hubby and I have discussed these things, and the solutions to the problems that are 'must fixes', like the septic, and the only thing we can seem to come up with as a solution is another loan. Certainly NOT the solution we wanted, but it seems inevitable. Just as soon as we start getting ourselves paid off from past debts- mostly incurred long before we were married, or even met, it really hurts to have to put ourselves back into a situation where we owe again. But the equity loan seems to be the only real solution, and so we are preparing ourselves to simply suck it up and get it done.

I do realize that that sounds like a pretty petty little whine up there. I know folks that are struggling just to feed their families, find work, and so I feel a bit guilty whining because I have a house to take care of, and have the inconvenience of an ancient dryer that takes forever to dry anything and sucks electricity like there's no tomorrow, and running water that stinks and leaves orange stains in the toilets and showers.

It ain't all bad, though. I have a lot to be thankful for. Family I love, a job that often leaves me in a bad mood, but more often than not, leaves me feeling like I'm part of something good. I have food in my fridge, an amazing little boy, and a couple of stupid dogs that keep my feet warm. So, for the next few weeks I'm going to try and focus on things I'm thankful for on a daily basis, instead of the things I'm worried over, depressed about, or have no control over.

Today I'm thankful for my friends, both here on the net, and those in my 'real life'. They love me even though I'm a goof, they give me encouragement, and they aren't afraid to give me a reality check every now and then. Above all else, I find value in knowing that I can spend my time in good company.

What are you thankful for today?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

*hugs* We're thankful for you, too! :)

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger me said...

MsBulldog has it right Angie honey. We're thankful we have ~YOU!~

hugs my friend!

;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home