Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Mindless babble...

This blog was never meant to be a place for me to come and discuss work. As a matter of fact, it's more about getting away from work. But sometimes a job can consume you, swallow every bit of what once made you unique. Right now I'd like to take a moment to say goodbye to Hunter.

He was a good dog. Beautiful old golden with the biggest head you could ever imagine. Always spunky and loveable. Hunter boarded with us at least one week a month while his owners were off on business. He's been a patient his entire 12 years.

Yesterday morning he came in for a visit because he'd been a little sick. Just some occasional vomiting. Nothing major. The doctor ran some bloodwork, discussed his ongiong problems with arthritis, and sent him home pending the bloodwork results.

Later in the afternoon his owner called crying because Hunter was in really bad shape. She didn't have the car and her husband was over in Orlando on business.

We're not usually a taxi service, but there are some clients that we'll go to the ends of the earth for. So Amy drove across town and picked them up. By the time he arrived he was barely breathing, and before we could even get him hooked up the an EKG, he was gone.

So goodbye, Hunter, you beautiful soul. You were very much loved in this life. May the next one be just as wonderful.

And that's enough of that.

Begin new topic:

Wil and I have been craving a vacation lately. It's not really that we have anywhere that we really want to go or anything. We just want a little break in the routine, ya know? Life has become complacent, and now that Jonas is a little older, it makes actually getting out and doing something a bit easier.

So where to go?

Requirements:

* It obviously has to be kid friendly.
* It can't be far away, since neither of our cars will withstand much of a trip.
* It has to be at least somewhat relaxing. I don't like crowds.

Does such a place exist?

Sure, we could go over to Orlando for the weekend, maybe do one of the theme parks or something, but come on, it's nearly 100 degrees outside, and that's without the heat index. And did I mention that I hate crowds?

I'm all for camping, but again, notice the current weather.

So I'm open for suggestions.

I've been thinking that it's about time that I actually trusted someone with watching my son. Wil's mom is dying for us to leave him overnight sometime. As nice as it would be to have some adult time, I just can't seem to swallow that. It's not that I don't think that she'd take care of him or anything. As a matter of fact, she probably coddles him more than I do. I'm just not ready for that sort of separation. An afternoon is fine, but I know that an overnight sort of thing would leave me an emotional wreck. Eventually it's something we're going to have to do, but at what point does a new mom say "Ok, take my kid, I'll be back tomorrow."

And now we're back to the unhealthy attachment thing. Funny how everything seems to come full circle.

Here's the part where I start making excuses for NOT taking a vacation.

We really don't have the money to be going off on any sort of a trip, not even a small one. The hotel alone would probably eat into our bill money. On top of that, I'd have to either pay someone to come and take care of the critters, or else I'd have to board them. And with Hulk as sick as he is right now, I probably shouldn't go off leaving him. I guess we really should wait at least until he's gone. It won't be long now.

We're planning on trying to get to Laura and Doug's wedding. Yeah, it's a while away still, but any sort of trip requires a lot of planning for us, and I'm afraid that going somewhere, even somewhere close by and inexpensive might jeopardize those plans in some way.

Still, it'd be nice to get away for a day or two. We'll see.


I sometimes miss the old nomadic me. Not that I'm a great world traveler or anything. Hell, I've never even been out of the US, but I did used to just take off and go when the urge struck me. Usually dragging Heidi along for the ride.

God we had some great times. A beat up car and $20 in my pocket was all that we needed. Everything else, we figured, would just sort of fall into our laps. Usually it did, and when it didn't, that was ok, too. Maybe it's just the freedom I miss. Life has completely changed since those days. We're both married now, I've got a kid. I love everything about my current situation, but at the same time, I need a little excitement in my life... a change from the every day routine.

Some day I'm going to have to learn that it's ok to be just a little bit selfish.

2 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Blogger Vickie said...

One of the best vacations I ever had was visiting all the local museaums and stuff. We went to the zoo, the art museum, the natural history museum, the health museum, and Hale Farm. These are the places I hadn't been to since we had field trips in school. I took lots of pictures and wasn't confined to a school day schedule. It was great. You would need your admittance money and snack money, but it would be cheaper than hotel bills.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Thanks for the suggestiong Vickie. I'm afraid that a trip to our local museums would be a short trip. Us folks down in Florida aren't that cultured, apparently. The only museum down here I'd even consider visiting would be the Dali Museum, and it's a good 300 or more miles away. Ugh. Not exactly a day trip.

But I suppose there are some things to do locally. I'll have to take a peek.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home