Sunday, August 28, 2005

Lazy day dreaming

It's after 11 and I'm still in my pajamas. I'd almost forgotten how good this feels. Jonas just feel asleep for his early nap and so I'm vegging. Sure, there's plenty of things I could be doing, but why bother. They'll all be there later, too.

Wil and I, after deciding that the real estate market here is grossly over-inflated, are trying to be happy with what we have. It's not that our little house is horrible or anything, it's just that we lack the motivation to make it any better. There's so much to do. Oh my god, so much. And I'm not talking about luxury things, like the new kitchen counters and appliances that I'm craving. I'm talking about the bare-bones stuff like repairing the a/c and re-doing the entire bathroom that, right now, is down to the studwork. We'd ideally, like to add on a third bedroom, maybe expand the livingroom, but I don't even know if that's possible.

Yesterday as we were driving around, we came across a carbon copy of our home. Amazing! We thought ours was one of a kind, as neither of us had ever seen another one, and between the two of us, we've covered nearly every inch of the county. But there it was, tucked back off a side street, plain as day. The only difference between this house and ours is the fact that we've screened our little front porch, and they've expanded their master bedroom. You see, with the way my roof is designed, there's really is only one logical place to expand this house without having to make major alterations, and that's exactly what these people had done. Unfortunately on our particular house, that place where you can expand easily happens to be right where our septic tank sits.

Doug, how difficult is it to relocate a septic tank?

I think that this little house could have some potential of someone else was working on it, it's just that we're so burned out and tired of it that we're losing our perspective.

Enough of the house stuff though. I'm bored with it.

Yesterday Jonas walked all the way across the livingroom and down the hall to his bedroom. Granted, he was holding on to his little walker toy, but still, quite an achievement for my little 'fraidy cat. Soon enough he'll find the courage to let go, I'm sure. And then there'll be no stopping him.

My friend, Tom, is interested in opening a coffeehouse. He wants to own the business, but he's not interested in running it. He asked if I'd be interested in being his partner. Of course I am! Read my bio, you'll see that a coffeehouse has always been my dream. Tom's one of those egghead geeks that's good with business and finance. I'm more suited to the day to day stuff, menu planning, event hosting, etc. I think that we'd probably make a good team. My only hesitation is the fact that I don't want to ruin a good friendship if the business fails, or if we have differing opinions on something. I've discussed this with Tom, and we've decided that if this all works out, he will be the sole proprieter, and I will be his salaried employee with a voice. He will be in charge of all the final decisions, but will rely heavily on me for input. It just might work.

Of course, we're a long way off from creating a reality here. About the only thing we have is a dream and a tentative location, providing the rent isn't outrageous.

They've just built this new community out here. It's all upscale housing and sophistication. There's a new highschool as well, and it's just a few miles from the college. They're also in the process of moving the county complex and courthouses out this way. And there happens to be a new plaza being built right there on the corner of the two major roads that run through. I can't think of a better place to put a business. You'll have the high-school crowd in the afternoons, the college crowd throughout the evening, and the county workers for breakfast and lunch.

So anyway, that's the dream for now. Maybe sometime in the next year or so I'll be living my dream, at least in some very small way.

7 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make mine a mint mocha frappacinno! I think that would be a great career move for you and hope it happens.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

I do too, Jim. My only hesitation is knowing that it'll require a LOT of hours on my part. I suppose it wouldn't be so bad for J-man to grow up in a coffeehouse, though. Better than a vet's office, for sure.

Funny thing, I just made mochas for breakfast. No mint, though. It would be a nice twist. I'll have to try it next time. And once the shop is opened, I'll let you name it. :)

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I never thought of opening a coffee house, but it seems awfully close to my dream of owning a restaurant. Oh I ran Ma's for a while, and I turned down the partnership deal she offered for the same reason you mentioned. I didn't want some business disagreement to cause troubles between us. Instead, I took the position you seem to be looking at - "manager" salaried employee with a voice, and much power, and HUGE hours, and no life lol. I loved every minute of it though to be honest.

So on that note - good luck, I hope it happens, just make sure you're a WELL salaried employee with a voice, k? Don't sell yourself short money-wise, you'll earn every penny you're paid, plus some!

*hug*
ML~
~E

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Cate said...

Sounds a lot like my dream ... my five-year-plan is to open up a small restaurant. If you read the forums at e-gullet, there's a woman who opened up a bakery last year and detailed everything from start to finish over there. It was quite an interesting read, and she still updates everyone on the day-to-day life there, including the nights she sleeps on the cot in the back. Thought you might be interested. :)

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Vickie said...

Well, I certainly hope it all works out for you. I'd like to see you doing something that you enjoy. You can always put a play room/study room behind the shop for Jonas. I think it could work.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Hey guys, thanks for all the support. Right now this is all just a bunch of talk and not a lot of action, but I think it might actually become a reality.

I know it won't be easy... not at all. But I'm already a hard worker now. At least if I'm doing something I truly WANT to do all of my hard work will seem rewarding. And you're right V, I could set up a little study/play area for J-man.

E, I will most certainly be a WELL PAID employee, otherwise there would be no incentive for me to leave my current job where I make decent money. Or at least enough to cover a few bills. :)

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Laura said...

doug and I would just like to FIND out septic tank, actually. Sadly -- it's and old old house with old means of septic -- they might have to flush a tracking device!

aside from that - I hope this opportunity develops for you because it sounds amazing -- especially the location you guys could really work that angle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home