Sunday, October 30, 2005

Forced Insomnia


If Jonas doesn't start sleeping soon, I'm going to be forced to give him away as a trick-or-treat goodie.

Ugh. I can't take it anymore. Sure, he falls asleep every night, ever so sweetly at his regular bedtime. But by 1:30 or 2:00 it's playtime and there ain't a damn thing in the world that I know of to stop him.

We've tried giving him warm milk, we've tried turning on cartoons, we've tried music, news (thinking it would bore him to death) we've tried total darkness, we've tried talking nice, we've tried being firm, we've tried holding him down until he finally gives in. I don't know what else to do, but something has to give! Mommy can't take it much longer. It's been a week since I've slept more than three hours.

Of course, his little late-night romps usually wind themselves down around 5, which is exactly the moment my alarm goes off. And then he slips peacefully back to sleep, and I'm left dragging ass and a sleeping baby off to daycare. Did I mention that daycare frowns upon sleeping children first thing in the morning? I think I have. And, quite frankly, so do I, since I didn't get any sleep myself.

I'm grumpy, and dare I say, resentful of both my son and my husband who both seem to have the luxury to do whatever the fuck they want, whenever the fuck they want, and all I can do is try to warp myself around their needs and wants.

Ugh. I need coffee. Sorry to rant.

3 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Blogger Erin said...

My sister would tell you to give him Benadryl when he gets up in the middle of the night, of course, she has a tendency to think drugs of many sorts are the answer to problems of many sorts.

Wish I did have the answer, Terra does this sometimes (like Friday night, 4 hours of play time - 1:30am - 5:30am) and it sucks in a big way. All I can suggest is making bed time a little later, and bathtime RIGHT before bed

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Laura said...

E stole my Benadryl answer...:) It does work however, like E said, it's not really the best solution, but I'm not against using something like that sparingly, you know... night six... and rationalizing it as protecting HIS welfare since you are having sleep deprivation hallucinations.

The other thing is depriving him of his nap during the day.....

good luck, ang.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

I don't know if I can justify drugging my baby in order to get a few hours of sleep. I know many folks that do just that, and I know that Benadryl is fairly harmless, but it just seems wrong.

And as far as depriving him of a nap? Jeez, I think I'd rather deal with a happy and playful kid in the wee hours of the morning than a grumpy one all day long! Ugh!

Besides, the insomnia seems to have been some sort of strange precursor to a nasty little tummy bug. For the past two days we've been cleaning up unmentionable messes from both ends. He seems better today, though.

Thanks for the moral support, y'all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home