Tuesday, November 29, 2005

So much for charity

I've been calling around town today, trying to find someone who might want my livingroom furniture. Yeah, it's not in the greatest condition, but it's certainly good furniture, and there are people out there who have nothing. I figured that some charity or another would be able to use them. You know, give them to a family who lost everything in the hurricanes...

Not so. I've called Goodwill, Salvation Army, and several local charities as well. If they're not in mint condition, they don't want them. WTF? Like I'm going to be giving away pristine furniture?! C'mon, I have a matching set of sofas and end tables. Really nice sofas and end tables. But alas, they do come with a little dirt, and there's a worn spot on the couch that's a bit threadbare. I just can't fathom why a charity wouldn't be able to use them.

So, I'm going to give a shot to Freecycle, but if I get no takers there, they're going to the curb. And it seems like such a shame, in a world where there are people struggling just to get by, and at a time when we are encouraged to give, that I can't give away something so useful.

Not to mention that it's a little insulting that the furniture that I use, and have used for years, isn't good enough for charity.

5 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Blogger Laura said...

ya know, some of the stuff that they have at Goodwill is a far cry from anything you're describing. I've yet to see anything in perfect condition there.

Weird. Maybe it's the region? Are ya'll snooty down there? *grin*

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

You know us Floridians... all thinking our shit don't stink. :)

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is annoying. When laura and I moved out of toledo I called goodwill to ask if they wanted to come pick up a perfectly good couch and some other furniture that we didnt want to take with us - they said if we couldn't bring it in ourselves they weren't interested. So I'm wondering if there are people out there who go without furniture because the so-called charities are too snooty to accept anything less than perfect or even to get a driver to pick up stuff. Doesn't make much sense. I guess they really don't care that much about the people they're supposed to be helping.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

I think the problem is that they're more interested in sell-able furniture to put in their stores and not in useable furniture to give to folks in need. It's all about the dollars.

I've put an ad for it on my local freecycle website. I've had a couple of interested people contact me. Maybe someone will come get it tomorrow. Of course, that leaves me with nothing to sit on for the next week.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Erin said...

When Scott got his tax check in February, he surprised me with new livingroom furniture, which left me with a room full to get rid of. We went through the same thing. The women's shelter wanted it, but had no truck to pick it up in, so we drove it all down there - but you're right; Goodwill and the Salvation Army only want stuff they can make a profit off of.

Charity my ass.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home