Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Totally Selfish

Wil starts a new position at his job today. Instead of being a delivery tech, he's going to be to guy that goes all around the county doing oxygen concentrator maintenance and check-ups. He'll still be on the road a considerable amount of time, but it's a more set schedule.

This is great news for him, considering all of the lifting that he won't have to do anymore, and the fact that he won't be on-call anymore, except in rare circumstances when someone else is out sick, etc. I know it's a relief for him, and knowing that he'll be home at a decent hour every night is nice, but I can't help but worry about the fact that he won't be pulling the hellacious amounts of overtime that we've become so accustomed to.

I know it sounds incredibly selfish, especially since I'm only working part-time now. But I don't know if we can make the bills if you take out 20 hours of his salary at overtime rates. It's just a little scary. But he's worked hard for the past year, putting in sometimes 70 hours a week on the road, and I can only imagine how exhausting that is for him.

On the up-side, we'll be able to spend more time together in the evenings, and Wil even thinks that he'll be able to enroll in some evening classes. All good things that will benefit us in the long run. But for now I've got to figure out how to survive on about $500 less a month. Man, just when things were starting to get comfortable again.

But if we get the re-fi done soon enough, we'll have much less going out every month in the way of bills. We'll be consolidating a bunch of credit card debt as well as my car loan into the mortgage, meaning we'll be eliminating about $400-500 in payments for a mortgage increase of about $200. I'm not that great at math, but that sounds like a pretty good deal, eh?
Part of our monthly savings will go into a savings account to go towards our future downpayment on a new home. The rest will probably get squandered on stuff we think we need. That's the American way, isn't it?

1 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger me said...

Checking in to say, "Hey." Re-fi sounds good. Higher position for hubby sounds good vis-a-vis his resume. (I love the fact I finally got vis-a-vis ~in~ somewhere! LOL) Hope the little one's feeling better. And hope you're well, old friend! Hugs and peace. :-)

I didn't mean old, you know, like, OLD, old.

Aw, never mind. . . .

hehehe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home