Tuesday, January 31, 2006

There will be others

I forgot to mention that, in our weekend outings, we drove past our dream house. The one that we originally looked out with the fabulous florida room on the back and the great landscaped gardens. We would have put a contract on that one in a heartbeat back when we first looked at it. Back before we realized just how much work would need to be done to this place in order to sell quickly.

It wasn't much of a loss at the time, since the original owners decided to pull it off the market before we ever got a chance to even see if they'd consider waiting for us to get our place on the market.

Well, it's back up for sale now. Which is sad in so many ways. It means that the wife has passed away now. That's what they were waiting for. She had terminal cancer and they were planning on moving back up north to be with family in her final days. But she was really too sick to move, so they decided to stay put.

It's sad because I know she's gone- that sweet old lady who talked and talked with us, telling us about how they'd picked out the house, and how they'd tended the gardens. The sweet lady with the sadness in her eyes because she knew it was almost over. And her wonderful husband who picked us fresh tomatoes to take with us when we left. I ache for them because I can't imagine the loss.

But I also ache for us because I know that the house will never be ours. Had I ever thought that it would be so soon that they'd have the place back up for sale, maybe we would have moved quicker on our own repairs, but we after it was no longer available, we just sort of gave up the idea of moving completely.

But there will be other perfect houses, I'm sure of that. Now it's just a matter of finding that motivation again, and actually getting this place back into shape.

So, even though I can't remember your name, sweet homeowner lady, I hope that you've found peace at the end of your life's journey.

1 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Blogger me said...

Similarly, it's like driving through your old neighborhoods, looking at old photo albums and music that takes you back. One thing leads to another and next thing you know you're pining for something from long ago, long forgotten and yet something that touched you and effected you. I know this feeling well.

When people tell me, "when the time is right a solution will come," and it will as far a new home goes for you and yours Angela - but I never believe this much when it's told to me.

I can say it to others and see it in work for others, but very seldom for me.

The bane of subjectivity, I guess. Have a wonderful day knowing that for whatever reasons yous and these homeowners met it may just have done more good for them than leaving you a sense of "that's the house that got away."

Life's funny and strange that way sometimes.

We're never really sure the impact we leave upon others.

Chin up!

Hugs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home