Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Choose your battles



Jonas is growing up. It's something that I'm incredibly proud of, and at the same I sort of miss the tiny little baby that once was.

Last night marked another milestone in our lives together. You see, not once in his life has he gone to bed by himself, or slept alone throughout the entire night. We've been working on introducing him to the idea of it for the last couple of months, but we're taking it slowly. I don't want him to feel like we're "kicking him out" of our bed. But I do think that he's old enough now to find the security of sleeping alone.

So I began our bedtime routine last night- bath, brushing teeth, diaper and jammies, milk, and off to bed, but on the way to the bedroom Jonas stopped, toddled over to his port-a-crib instead and gave it a little tug as if to say "I want to sleep here, Mommy." So I pulled it out of the corner, fluffed his pillow, placed him in, dimmed the lights and got the hell out of dodge.

He did it! He went to sleep on his own, in his own bed (or at least some variation of it! AND... he slept the entire night. Didn't wake once! OF course, I tossed all night worried that he might wake, or that he might be cold. But those are normal Mommy things, I suppose.

The above picture is him, all crashed out, sideways. No idea why he prefers to sleep that way, all crowded into the corner, on top of the pillow, but hey, whatever works. I think it has to do with daycare naptime and those little mats they sleep on. Maybe he thinks his pillow is his mat?

So hopefully this will become his new routine. I know that this is boring reading for most of you, but hey, it's a huge event in our house.

This morning when he woke up, we showered him in admiration for being such a big boy. He was proud of himself, for sure.

The latest battle in our house is food. Jonas is a pretty picky eater most of the time. This morning, rather than fight him, I decided I'd fool him a little. So I tossed a container of mango yogurt, a bit of orange juice, some frozen strawberries adn raspberries and a frozen banana into the blender and viola! A healthy breakfast and no fuss from the kid! He loves anything that's sipped through a straw, and he especially loves icecream, so in his mind he was having the best of both worlds.




Anyway, off to the dentist now. Y'all have a great day.

3 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger me said...

A dear collegiate friend and erstwhile therapist used to tell me, back in the day that she thought I'd make a wonderful father. Everytime I hear ya talk lovingly about ya little one, hon, again, as effeminate as this sounds, I wish. . . . . . .

Well, professional bachelohood can be a sentimental state of affairs from time to time.


>sigh<

Good luck with your toofez, hon.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, wow, I am so excited for you! (and the smoothie breakfast is a great idea!) You smart mommy, you. . .

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Mike, whenever you start wishing, remind me to tell you about the things he's attempted to flush down the toilet, or the tantrum he threw in the most inappropriate place, etc. Parenthood is wonderful, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't trade it for anything, but there are moments where I wish I had a day off. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home