Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Change is good

I'm feeling restless today- as if the world isn't moving quickly enough in any one direction or another. I guess it's just spring fever or something.

I rearranged the livingroom today in an attempt to make it seem more spacious. I'm not sure if I like the results or not. I guess you sort of have to live with it a few days to figure out if it works or not. I also downsized the number of J's toys that are out. What I really need to do is go through and weed out the ones he doesn't play with much or has outgrown and find them new homes. I'm so bad about hanging onto stuff. I just can't seem to get rid of anything.

Before Jonas was born I spent a lot of time going through all the stuff that was in his room- making way for baby. His room used to be our office, and man! It's amazing all the stuff that can collect in a room like that. I must have thrown away 5 large bags full of junk! It's time to do that again. The closets are starting to bulge!

I'm anxious to get started on so many different things- the home repair projects mainly. I know it doesn't seem too exciting to be thinking about and pricing out air conditioners and chosing paint colors for the exterior, but once we get that stuff out of the way, we can focus on the more fun things, like the porch addition and the landscaping. I wish Erin's Scotty lived closer. I could use his green thumb and help. I'm such a terrible gardener! We also found out this week that they guy that did our lawn work last year won't be returning. Nothing personal or anything, he's just not doing yards anymore. So I've got to find a new yard guy, and soon. Most of the yard is still dull and lifeless due to the lack of rain, but the parts that are growing are getting out of hand.

And aside from the house stuff, I'm also anxious about ordering my courses and getting started on them. I know that I'll do good at it, and probably will be able to complete the program rather quickly since I have a bit of medical background, but it's also a bit scary- taking that big leap from gainfully employed to student. In the big picture, it'll work out to be advantageous, but it's been a very long time since I've been unemployed, and with a kid to think about, it's a bit scary. Sure, we've gone over the numbers, and we know that we can deal with the financial stuff, but I wonder how I'll handle the idea of not bringing in any income. As it is right now, with me earning less than I used to, I experience guilt every time I splurge a little at the store, or go over on the grocery budget. I guess that's just something I'm going to have to work out, and keep faith in the fact that it's a temporary situation while I finish classes, then I'll be earning money AND staying home with my son. Who could want anything more?

And once J's off to school in a few short years, I can always go back to working outside the home agian, if I want. Honestly I adore the idea of being one of those moms that's able to volunteer at the school all the time. I think that kids whose parents are lucky enough to be able to stay involved like that end up getting a better education out of a failing system.

But that's a different topic, isn't it? Perhaps another post another time. For now, J's about ready to wake up from his nap, and I've got lunch ready to come out of the oven any minute.

2 Comments:

At 11:47 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I really wish Erin's Scotty lived closer too! He LOVES gardening and new installations. He isn't licensed as a landscape designer, but he's damn good at it anyway. And we could point and bark orders and drink coffee or something while he worked ;)

 
At 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go with the classes and be happy, and remember how much you are saving by taking care of Jonas at home. It is a great thing to invest in your future like this, just like L is doing now (and man am I going to make her work HARD so we can recoup the investment...um, no...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home