Friday, May 12, 2006

My very first

Ok, so I've gone and done it now. I've joined my sister-in-law's sock knit-along!

I know... that's highly un-entertaining to those of you who don't knit, which is, well, all of you I think. But it's very exciting for me. Not only is this my very first knit-along, but it's also my very first pair of socks ever. Neat-o!

Yes, I do realize that means that I'm sort of sidelining two or more current projects in order to jump aboard this one, but that's ok. I need a break from the larger project because, well, it's just so large, and boring, and the smaller one is more of my "car knitting" thing anyway, and I'm more than 2/3 done with it, so it won't take me long to finish. And that particular piece is not time-restricted.

So Jim and Laura, if your baby never gets a blanket from me you'll understand, right? Or if he gets it as a high school graduation gift.

Ok, so I'm excited to be jumping into this, but at the same time, I'm a little nervous. You see, I'm a really, really, really slow knitter and very much a novice, and I'm not used to being at the rear of the class on anything. But I really enjoy knitting, despite my obvious lack of skill and speed, and I think it'll be fun. So croc-socks, here I come! Yippie!

Well, ok, I suppose I need to go get yarn first, right? Hopefully Jo-Ann will carry something worth having. Otherwise I'm going to have to internet order and then I'll just be that much farther behind everyone else. :( I guess it's not really a race anyway, right?

Ok, that's my knitting news for today. Tonight Wil, J and I are going downtown for Friday Fest. It's just a small block-party sort of thing the city puts on once a month. But it'll be cool- full moon, drum circle down towards the river, and lots of good coffee, maybe even a beer if I'm feeling froggy. I have to work in the morning, though, so probably just coffee.

Better go get dressed now and see if I can get J to eat something.

If I don't check in again before then, I'd like to wish all of the mommy readers out there a happy mother's day on Sunday. Hope your kids do something nice for you- or at least let you sleep in past 7:30!

4 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

No racing--'cause that's no fun. Just a friendly group all working on the same project, so we can help each other if someone gets stuck. :) There are 3 other people who are doing this as their first pair of socks, too, so you fit right in!

As for buying sock yarn at Joann's: they carry Paton's Kroy Sock yarn, Bernat Sox yarn, and Moda-Dea Sassy Stripes yarn. I would go with either of the first two. I can't be positive that the Moda-Dea is sock weight without seeing it, but the others should work well. :) They may have something else that I'm not familiar with, but I'm judging from their website and what I've seen in stores.

Happy Mother's Day to you, too!

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Laura said...

yay for sock knitting!!!! i think they'll turn out wonderful.

glad you made it to friday fest (you did make it, didn't you?) I know you've been meaning to. was it fun and stuff???

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Annnnnngiiiie! Where are you? Come back! Put the socks down and back away slowly!

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

heh Eve, I haven't even started the socks yet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home