Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Packing... again

J and I have been packing our suitcase today. Or, more correctly, I've been packing and he's been unpacking. We're off to Barnhenge tomorrow! Yippie!

I'm so excited about this trip. I haven't had a "vacation" in a very very long time. Sure, we've travelled around, visited family, etc. But a vacation just for the sheer pleasure of getting away? Nope, I can't even remember the last one.

This morning we shopped. I've told you before that I can't go into any store that sells kids shoes without checking them out. Well, today was no exception. So I went to Toys R Us simply looking for a bag they advertise on their website to hold the carseat. According to the reviews this bag is rather roomy and would hold not only the carseat, but some of the other stuff that we're taking, which would solve some luggage problems. Of course, they were sold out, which is just my luck. But I did get J a new pair of shoes. They're nothing spectacular, but they're nice and lightweight and actually a name brand shoe for under $20. Of course, he won't wear these to school- ever- if I plan on keeping them beautiful and white for more than a few hours. Good thing he only has about two weeks of daycare left before that's all behind us.

So, after buying shoes that we really didn't NEED, we stopped by Target, hoping that maybe they carried this bag. Nope. But I did find a nice large duffle bag with wheels and a handle, which will make dragging luggage, a carseat and a kid through the airport a bit easier. I'm not taking his good carseat due to it's sheer size and weight. Instead he'll be travelling in ghetto luxury in the borrowed Dale Earnhardt, padding chewed by a nervous dog, lightweight version. Good thing he's too young to have an opinion about it.

So the bags are pretty much packed, other than the last minute stuff. I'm still trying to decide which of his toys will be airline friendly and fit in a small carry-on bag. And quite honestly, I'm worrying way too much over this stuff. I mean, it's not like we're going to the end of the world. I'm sure Laura and Doug have a store somewhere within driving distance of their house if I should forget anything important, right? I'm the chronic over-packer. But at least I can admit my weakness, right?

In other good news, a check came in the mail last night from the people who financed my car. Apparently we overpaid them when we paid off the loan. So, all that extra shopping I did, it's sort of a wash.

Ok, so off to the airport at an ungodly hour because, even though our flight doesn't leave until 8, Wil has a meeting at work in the morning and has to be there an hour and a half earlier than usual. So, in order to get us to the airport and get himself back to town in time, we're going to have to get there way early. I'm sure the airport serves coffee and breakfast, though. And J will enjoy running around the terminal and all of the gift shops.

Jeez, I've typed all of this, and I've still failed to mention how absolutely nervous I am about the fact that we'll be invading Laura and Doug's little zen space for so long. I hope they don't get sick of us! :) If so, I'm sure there's enough acreage for us to disappear for a while.

I told Laura this morning that I've got that feeling that you get as a child on Christmas Eve as you're trying to fall asleep- that magical feeling where you actually believe that Santa really might leave a pony under the tree in your livingroom.

Anyway, It's 5 pm. Jonas just finally gave in and took his nap. This is going to make for an interesting evening. I should probably wake him up soon, despite the crankiness it will cause. That, and I need to finish up some stuff around the house before I go. I wonder if Wil is going to survive without me for a week? *I'm joking, of course* We do have a microwave.

Until later...

2 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Oh I'm so jealous Ang. Kiss them both for me eh?

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger me said...

Best regards to all! Safe journeys, my friend. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home