Saturday, April 29, 2006

A moment to sit

I'd like to say that it's good to be home, but I haven't hardly had the chance to BE home since we returned. Worked all day Friday, returned the rental car, worked again today, then spent two hours bathing and grooming my stinky dog. She has this thing about the kennel. It totally stresses her out and she drools the entire time. By the time we pick her up she's a big wet sloppy mess and her skin is irritated. Imagine being soaking wet for 7 days straight. I mean, it's a wonder she's not growing mildew!

So I'm finally home now, J's napping, there's laundry going. I should be washing dishes right now, or cleaning the floors, or putting away the last of the stuff from our suitcase, but I'm just incredibly unmotivated. I'll get to it sooner or later.

The funeral service for my Daddy Dean was really nice. The pastor did a wonderful job memorializing him, referring to him at one point as a "Jolly Green Giant" who had a ministry of tomatoes. Nothing could be more true. Seems like he could grow almost anything he wanted, but the tomato was his pride and joy. I can remember taking home suitcases full of them at some visits, and I actually still have two jars of canned tomatoes from his garden sitting in my pantry. Some of the sweetest, most beautiful fruits I've ever tasted.

But anyway...

There's a memorial site which you may visit, if you wish, and view some pictures of him, and of the family. There are a few that are my favorites- like the one of him sitting in the room full of tomatoes, hat perched on his knee, admiring his crop, and the one of him standing proudly in front of his tractor as if it's a porsche.

The link is below. You can either view the thumbnails, or click on one of the buttons to the right to see them as a slideshow/movie.

Daddy Dean

And that's it for now. I really do need to get into that kitchen and get to work if we ever plan to eat again.

3 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Blogger westcoastmama said...

These are wonderful memories, Ang. I think the pic with the harvest of tomatoes is one of my favorites too. *sigh* You made me think of my grandma. She passed away when I was only fifteen. Geez...that was 21 years ago. Still miss her, but I know she's around. *hug*

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger me said...

Welcome back, Angie. HUGS!

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Glad to hear you made it there and back without pulling your hair out. Long trips with toddlers are no fun. I went to the memorial page... boy, he was absolutely vibrant when he smiled wasn't he?

*hug*
You know where I am if you need me. Love you.
~E

 

Post a Comment

<< Home