Sunday, April 23, 2006

We're off

We got the call yesterday afternoon that my Daddy Dean passed away. We're leaving this morning, just as soon as we can get the dog dropped off at the kennel and our stuff loaded in the car.

Last night I stood outside in the front yard, looking for a moon that was hiding in the first rainclouds we've had in two months or more. Up beside me hopped a little speckled toad. As a child, out visiting at Mema and Daddy Dean's house, my brother and I used to catch the toads in glass jars with holes in the lids. I'm not sure why we'd do such a thing, other than they were cool to look at- I certainly don't remember keeping them for any length of time. But as I stood there in the darkness last night, it was almost as if some tiny little avatar had stopped by to say hello, or goodbye, or whatever it is that toads come to tell sorrowful people. Either way, it was a nice reminder of how I'd like to remember my grandfather- healthy, strong, earthy.

Anyway, off to finish prepping the car. God help us- I don't know how J's going to react to 14 hours in his carseat. But if E can do it with 5 kids, I know that I can do it with one.

2 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Oh Ang, I'm so sorry. I know you were expecting it, but that doesn't really help any does it? Seems this spring is just too full of pain and loss and death for the people I love. You know where I am, and my phone number if you want to call, even if neither of us talk. I love you. Be safe on your trip.
*hug*

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger me said...

Sincere and heartfelt condolences to you Angie. From your friend and fan, MikeyC. All I can say is I sympathize, empathize and know what it is like to get "that" call, sweetie. I am with you and yours in prayer. . . . .

HUG!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home