Monday, May 15, 2006

Total sock drama

Ok, so I've visited both of the craft stores in town and it's been confirmed- people in Florida just DON'T knit socks. You can't get sock yarn anywhere within a 60 mile radius of here.

So, feeling frustrated, defeated, and resigned to ordering my yarn over the net, I spied some really pretty cotton yarn and thought... hmmm... cotton socks.

Maybe it's a huge novice mistake and cotton is really hard to knit with or something, but I'm going to give it a try. If I fail miserably, I suppose I can always rip it apart and use this yarn for something else, right? Besides, it really was such a pretty color that I couldn't resist.




So I'll finally get to cast on for my croc-socks tonight after the munchkin goes to bed. Yippie!

Mother's day here was rather relaxing. We pretty much just hung around the house until the afternoon. My boys gave me a beautiful boquet of flowers. I also got a couple of gift cards and a new robe. It's really cute! White with hot pink trim and little pink cherries all over it.

In the afternoon we went to my parents and had spaghetti for dinner, and then dropped by Wil's parents. See, nothing majorly exciting or anything, but it was nice and relaxing all the same.

Back to work today where the new girl (yes, they finally hired my replacement) arrived this morning, but after being informed that she'd have to take a drug test, she promptly quit. What a winner! :) So now they're scrambling to find someone to replace me and I'm left laughing my ass off because I gave them a friggin two MONTH notice and they're just now looking to hire. I almost feel sorry for the girls I'm leaving behind, but certainly not bad enough to hang around any longer.

So anyway, it's time for me to take the dog out before she pops, and Jonas and I need to go water our new plants. He's really taken to this gardening thing. They have a cute little kids set of gardening tools, complete with a hat and gloves and trowel at the store. I think I'm going to have to splurge before he kills himself with our big shovel.

4 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, Blogger Erin said...

That color IS pretty, especially against that bear nice contrast/mix/whatever ya call it but call me stupid (or just call me a non-knitter) but what's the difference between sock yarn and other yarn?

We bought Terra some digger-type stuff when we went to the beach - she loves it, except that it's hard to dig anywhere here. Guess we have to get her a sand box now eh?

Sheesh!

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, I love that yarn! Is that the tangerine color? I always want to buy it when I see it! :)
Cotton makes fine socks--especially in Florida. It's just not very stretchy, so some folks find it makes their hands a little achy to work with. This pattern is esentially a rib, so it will have good stretch anyway. I'm sure they'll be great.
As for your work--some guy B's group wanted to hire did the same thing. They mentioned the drug screen and he ran the other way. What a dork! Who would interview with a "major high tech manufacturing company" and NOT think they'd do a drug test? They'd even paid to fly him out here from CA somewhere. Guess he got a free trip out of the deal. . .

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Thanks for checking in, E. And for the encouragement on the yarn color. I thought it was really pretty next to J's bear, too. Actually, I took the picture there because it was the sunniest spot in the house at the moment and my camera is crap. :)

On the sandbox- make sure it's covered unless you want her digging in the world's greatest litter box!

Amanda, the color is "Tangelo". How could I resist a yarn that calls my name like that?! I've finished the first repeat on the sock and I'm loving the yarn so far. It is less stretchy, but it doesn't bother me much. And, ummm, when you're knitting on something just marginally larger than toothpicks, isn't there some level of hand ache involved regardless of the yarn?

I really like the way it glides over the needles with so little effort. Of course, I'm also finding that I have to be careful not to drop any stitches.

It seems so funny to be so excited over less than an inch of progress, but it's already so pretty!

 
At 2:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that yarn is such a pretty color! I might have to get some for myself. I'm also doing Amanda's Mock croc sock knitalong. This is also my first pair of socks to knit. I can't wait to see how your Tangelo yarn looks knitted up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home