Thursday, June 15, 2006

Have a banana

Obviously, there isn't a whole lot going on in my life right now. School work, and hanging out with the J-man who, by the way, can now reach light switches! *ack*

I've made it almost all the way through the grammar unit of my course. Man has it kicked my butt! It's very humbling to realize how little you know about the language we speak on a daily basis. I've certainly learned that I have very little clue about the use of semi-colons, colons, dashes and hyphens. And the words "followup" and "follow up" still confuse the heck out of me. When do you use which? But I've taken all but the last test in the unit and I've scored above 80. Yes, I know that in order to graduate from the course I have to score at least 85, and preferably in the 90's, but I figure the more I dwell on this, the worse I'm going to do. So I'm going to plug through it, move on to the next unit- Anatomy and Physiology- and then go back and review a section each day before I start the day's work.

I'm almost afraid to say that I think the A&P will be fairly easy for me. I've taken the course before--more than ten years ago--and I managed to retain most of the basics. I could probably still name almost all of the bones and muscles, and I understand things like organ systems and functions. Of course, I thought I knew grammar, too.

I've decided to get Wil a gift certificate for a massage and one of those lumbar support things for his work van as a father's day gift. He's constantly complaining of back pain, and I know that if I spent 10-12 hours a day alternating between sitting in a hard vinyl seat and lifting heavy equipment, my back would ache, too.

This is when I wish Laura lived closer. She gives a great massage! :)

So today I'm going to go through the phone book and find a few local massage places. We have a massage school here in town and I think they offer a lower per-hour rate.

Anyway, the whole purpose of this post was to provide a link to this article that I read this morning. We all know that bananas are good for us, but I found this pretty amazing. As an added bonus, Jonas loves bananas, and probably eats two pounds of them a week.

That's all. Nothing earth-shattering, I know. I'm taking a much needed break from school work this morning. Jonas and I are working on our ABCs. He can already tell you what about 5 letters are. He's such a little genius, isn't he?

5 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Good thing about the bananas, since I'm about to buy a boatload of them for Aaron's Curious George party this weekend! *grin* I'm going to try to find those mini-bananas as snacks, but I'm also using a bunch of bananas to weight down the balloons, and a few to go in his cake. *Whew* We should all be completely healthy after Saturday! :) *That article was neat, but saying that a banana has 4x the protein of an apple just made me laugh. Yeah, so does celery.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Okay, so something else really funny. I was looking up the amount of protein in an apple (zero, btw) and found an ad for Apple Protein shampoo! Um, guys, there's NO protein in apples . . . maybe it's a protein shampoo that smells like apples? Harumph. Smells like something else to me. . . . Advertisers suck.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Erin said...

"followup" and "follow up"

I know I know pick me! "followup" is a noun, sometimes used as a modifier, as in, "He performed a followup examination"

"follow up" is used as a verb as in "There are test results I need to follow up on"

Did I pass? Huh huh? hee hee, I'm so into grammar, I'm such a total nerd.

I'd think you probably do remember a lot of the anatomical stuff, considering your work in veterinary medicine. Granted, they're different, but similar enough, right?

A massage eh? Wish I was yo baby daddy!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger me said...

Speaking of massages, I am ~SO~ in need of one for that same area, Ang, lower lumbar! Ugh! They have a school here. Students charge 40 and the graduates and in house therapists charge 75 and provide 5 different types of massage. I am so going to save up to get my back (and butt) in there soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home