Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Yup, that's how it goes

Last night, itching for an excuse to get out of the house for a little bit, but not wanting to spend the money on really eating out, especially since we had plenty of leftovers in the fridge to devour, we decided to go on a late night run to Krispy Kreme.

You see, there's only one Krispy Kreme within about a 200 mile radius of our house. It happens to only be about 15 miles away, and since their donuts are like crack to me, it's probably a good thing that they're not any closer. So the three of us piled into the car well past Jonas's bedtime and off we went for the sugary, yeasty temple of goodness.

Upon arrival, it was obvious that something was wrong. Where was the sign announcing hot donuts? The glowing neon beacon to all pot-heads and pregnant women of the world was gone. Store empty- closed.

Now, I know that Krispy Kreme is struggling financially, and that Dunkin Donuts has really taken over the whole donut market. I know that when your struggling financially you sometimes have to make cuts in your hours of operation in order to stay afloat. But to close the shop at 9pm when most of your business probably comes either in the morning with the commuters or late at night with people like us? Why not close through mid-day. Does anyone eat fried sugary dough for lunch?

So, now on the other side of town, and with no donuts to fill our disappointed bellies, we turned back for home with me sulking silently in the passenger seat. This is the part where I tell you that my husband is sometimes a genius. Sometimes only because if I tell you that he's a genius ALL of the time he'd get a big fat head.

What's the next best thing to a Krispy Kreme donut? That's right! Sonic.

So we pull up to the menu/speaker thing, and we decide what we're ordering, Wil pushes the little button, and in the most psuedo-ghetto white girl trying to be black accent I've ever heard:

"Welcome to Sonic. Whatchoo want?"

"I'll take a small strawberry shake..."

"WHAT?!"

*Wil looks at me as if to say "Is my accent that bad?"

"A small strawberry milkshake..."

"We ain't got small. You can have a medium."

"Ummm... is that the smallest size you sell?"

"Yeah"

"Then it's a small, isn't it?"

"It's a medium, I told you."

"Ok, a medium strawberry shake."

"That all?"

"No, an Oreo Blast sundae."

"You wanted oreo?"

*Looks at me again with disbelief*

"Yes, oreo."

"that all?"

"No, and a large Cherry Limeade."

"We don't got cherry coke."

"NO, A CHERRY LIMEADE!"

"Oh, a limeade."

"Yes, a cherry limeade."

"What size you want?"

"Large... if you have it."

"Ok, that'd be $5.27. Be out in a minute."


Good freakin lord! Can people really be that stupid? Do they even realize that they sound that stupid? And look, I understand that working the drive-up at a Sonic is hardly an esteemed career, but I've always felt that if you're going to do a job, you should at least pretend to do it well. And if I were this chick's manager she wouldn't last a single shift.

Ugh. Maybe I'm just getting old.

BTW Amanda, Jonas isn't as big on the "cokey-lime" as Aaron is. That still makes me giggle. He does however like the "stah-bie" shake. :)

3 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Ack! I can't imagine anything as disappointing as anticipating a Krispy Kreme and it being closed. Tragic, really. :(

And, yes, there is a reason she works at Sonic. But you're right--she wouldn't work at MY Sonic. Oh, we have been burdened with strong work ethics . . . ;)

Glad the shake did the trick for Jonas. My mouth is watering for a cokey-lime, now. :)

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Wow, I didn't know I could end every paragraph with a smiley face. Ick. Guess I'm in a better mood than I think. . . or you just bring out the best in me.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Well, I sighed more in disappointment in this post than I have in a long time.

See, we don't have a Krispy Kreme here.

We don't even have a Sonic.

And while I'm on food joints that Hawaii doesn't have -we don't have Olive Garden either.

I can't wait to get back to the REAL U.S!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home