Monday, July 10, 2006

Banned: Chronicles of the Parent Cult

Last night I submitted a request to become a member of a certain yahoo group for Brevard Mothers. I was sent an email letting me know that all members must be approved by the moderator, which I fully understand. So, this morning I received my "questionairre" which requested rather specific information from me, including my phone number, legal name, child's name, age, where I worked, etc all with the explanation that "we can't be too careful where children are concerned.

Now, I totally agree that when children are concerned, you can't be too careful, but at the same time, here's someone I don't even know, nor do I even know that they are a legit organization, asking me to give out some pretty specific information on blind faith. They also had many "restrictions" on their members, according to the email I received. Members are "required" to attend at least X number of functions per month, must be available for certain things, etc.

I'm all about participation, but I don't like being told what I have to do and when. What if I don't WANT to take my kid to the beach this weekend? He doesn't like the beach. Etc.

So I sent a reply stating such things and that while I wasn't opposed to giving such information to someone once I knew WHO I was giving it to, and that there are enough scams on the internet that I had a right to be a concerned parent.

The response I got back was one which indicated that I was a whacko paranoid type of person and that they had never once been questioned by ANY of their members regarding their gathering of personal information.

This was quickly followed by a second and third email informing me that I had been banned from their group and that this decision was final.

Too funny. I guess I questioned the wrong authority. :)

I'd follow in Erin's footsteps and post the exact messages, but I deleted them before I had a chance to fume.

Oh well, it was worth a good laugh. Guess I'll have to take Jonas to another county to play now.

4 Comments:

At 4:28 PM, Blogger Erin said...

You mean, you weren't willing to pass out your credit card numbers, J's social security number and his diaper size!?

Sheesh! What's wrong with you!? Ya nut case!

Hmmmm. I wonder if there's a group like that around here? I need some good ridiculous email fodder to post ;)

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Wow, I think we know where the real wackos in Brevard are. . . *rolls eyes* What's up with that?

 
At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ut-oh, banned by the Brevard Parents Group? How will Jonas ever get into college now that you, and HE, has this black mark?

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Yep D, I'm absolutely ruining his future. :)

I may be a whacko, Amanda, but no matter how whacky I am, there's always someone willing to out-do me. :)

I'm sure there are plenty of groups out there that you could find E. Go take a look, and when you find them, don't forget to include your mailing address, mother's maiden name, and the three little numbers on the back of your credit card in the email!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home