Sunday, July 16, 2006

How it went

Devi is a delightfully easy baby. Nothing like my munchkin at all. It was kind of eerie because she was so content to just sit and watch whatever was going on, or roll around on the floor and reach for toys that it was almost like not having another child in the house at all. It's a good thing that I didn't know kids could be that easy before Jonas was born or I might have loathed the unfairness of parenthood.

Of course, I love my "difficult" child. Only now I believe them when the grandparents tell me "He's a handful! Wil was never like THAT!" Babies really CAN be easy-going, I suppose.

For the most part, I didn't find it any more difficult to care for two kids. The biggest problem we encountered was a bit of Jonas jealousy at not being the baby of the house, and not understanding that the baby couldn't do all the things that he could. He'd hand her a toy, or try and show her how something worked, and then he'd get frustrated because she wouldn't repeat it. Oh, and he wasn't pleased at having to give up his "big boy chair" in the livingroom. You see, after a very long time of watching him sit either on the floor, or on the end of his inflatable Sponge Bob bed to play or read or watch tv, it just recently dawned on me that we had his old baby seat out in the shed and it's the convertable variety that can be used as a toddler sized rocking chair. So, just weeks after having a chair of his own, he had to watch as little Devi took over his prized posession. Oh, the horror! But he only tried to sit on her once.

We also learned that Jonas doesn't understand the concept of "whisper" or "quietly". As Devi was comfortably napping in his bedroom J would peek around the corner at her, point and yell at the top of his lungs "MA-MA! NI-NI!" and then proceed with the snoring noises, which of course, elicited a startle response from the sleeping Devi who was then no longer sleeping.

We took a couple of pictures, but for the most part it was difficult to get the two kids near each other. Jonas viewed her as a somewhat foreign object and would only get within about an arm's length of her. And then, of course, it's nearly impossible to get two kids to look in the same direction at the same time. But here's the best of them.




6 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Glad to hear it went so well. It does make it easier when one is easy going. Tommy was a beast of a child, but Kory, thank god, was a low maintenance kind of infant. Had they both been high maintenance I'd have lost my mind.

The pics are adorable, and wow does Devi have beautiful big blue eyes or what!?

 
At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My firstborn, lovely daughter, was such an angel that I had no idea what I was in for when I gave birth to her two rambunctiously wild younger brothers. I always say half jokingly that if my youngest was my firstborn, he'd have probably been an only child, he's such a handful. Thank goodness I have my angel girl to help me out with her brothers, and to giggle and knit and drink tea with. And oh, how we love our boys.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger me said...

Adorable little girl, Angie. . . .

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

She is adorable, isn't she? Amazing eyes and the longest curliest lashes I've ever seen. Some girls have it all. :)

Katrina and Erin, you are both heroes in my book. You have the patience and ability to raise more than one kid at a time!

So, yes, eventually we'd love another child, but after spending the day with two, and even more importantly, seeing how utterly useless the hubby was at helping with the two of them, I think we'll wait a little while longer. Let's at least get Jonas out of diapers and able to pour his own milk. :)

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, those eyes!

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger Eve said...

Ha. I can picture all of that happening. :-) You are a great story teller.

And she has the most gorgeous eyes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home