Monday, April 30, 2007

Good eggs, coffee, bone tired

You know, I can do a whole lot of whining about this whole hospital experience, but it won't do anyone a lick of good. So instead, let me tell you about how I've tried ever so hard to recognize and be thankful for all the good stuff instead.

Up to this point we've been blessed with some really great staff. The nurses have been friendly, chatty, quick to respond to the point of almost spoilage. It's almost as if there's some universal law that says "enough crap! Give that girl a break!"

Today's been another long one. Wil continues to spike fevers and his white count is still through the roof, but I can tell he's improving just by the decrease in the amount of moaning and groaning going on.

Podiatry came in this morning and did some work on the nasty foot- helped clean up some of the worst of the oozing stuff, scrubbed it and wrapped it. Tomorrow morning they'll surgically remove the nail to help it drain some more. I don't know who's going to find it more uncomfortable, me or Wil. I've got a creepy thing about nails anyway, and he gets the added benefit of drugs.

They told us this morning that they were going to send him down for an MRI to rule out a blood clot, but so far that hasn't happened. I don't know if they're just overbooked in MRI, or if they decided against it. They'll probably come at 2 a.m. to do it, just when he finally gets into a good sleep.

And honestly, no one really knows what's going on, or what caused him to get this bad. Even the doctor said he's never seen anything like this in an otherwise healthy person.

Wil asked this morning if he might be at risk of losing more than just his toenail, and didn't exactly get a straight answer. That's a little unsettling, but we're being optimistic about it for now. As long as the streaking and swelling continues to go down, I'm assuming everything is good.

Meanwhile, not to sound like a whiney, self-centered wife, but I'm exhausted. I'm running on coffee alone and being torn between being here, and the adorable little munchkin that begs to go home and wants me with him. It's a tough place to be in and it breaks my heart. I only cry in the car, though.

Anyway, that's the update for now. I'm sure I'll have a great post about the gore of toenail removal tomorrow. God... I get all cringey just thinking about it!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Gretchen said...

Geez, Angie. I hope the toenail removal is the extent of it. I'm glad the staff has been nice. That is a good thing in a bad situation.

I was telling my family about this last night and my whole family has the heebies for you. I hope it's all taken care of soon. Huge hugs.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Icky toenails--eeeewwwww....... *shivers*
I'm sorry that Wil didn't get a clear answer to his question--that's a little creepy. Sounds like they caught things in time, though. What was it that convinced him go to the hospital in the first place? The fever?
Hope things go well today. Keep hanging in there. *hugs*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home