Thursday, May 03, 2007

Aww Damn

We had the worst possible night last night at the hospital. Noisy floor, psycho (not joking, truly, scarily unstable) nurse, a new fever. Despite it all, we managed to keep humor about us, and hopes of being released today.

No dice.

His early a.m. bloodwork revealed that his white count was on the rise again. Redness and swelling in the foot again, too. NOW they are going to do the MRI that they planned on doing three days ago and never did. Hopefully it'll show absolutely nothing and that will be the end of it. But something is causing his white count to increase, and well, it has to be treated no matter how badly he wants to come home.

Also, the final reports on the cultures came back. They grew out both Staph and Strep B. Scary stuff if you care to read up on it. One website that I read listed a mortality rate of 20% in men. Yeesh!

Meanwhile, Wil's boss expects him back at work AND ON CALL (WTF?!) Saturday. Heh, she's got another thing coming. My guess is that it'll be quite a while before he's given clearance to go back to work. We're in the process of doing the short-term disability paperwork now, and the doctor told us this morning that he'd have no problem helping us with it if we needed him to. Nice guy.

You see, you tell people that you can't come to work because you have an infection in your toe, and they aren't quite as sympathetic as if you call and tell them you've had a heart attack or something. I mean, it's just a toe, right? Everyone seems to think that Wil is milking this thing. They don't understand that the toe thing is the the cherry on top of a huge bacterial sundae that's been working it's way through his body systemically. I may have to go down to his office and put his boss in her place. How dare her call his hospital room to let him know his schedule! You'd think that working for the health system would make her a bit more understanding.

Yes, I'm officially over my gratitude and cheery, thanks for the help sort of attitude. I'm tired, I'm crabby, I'm worried, I'm achy, and well, I just want to sit here and feel sorry for myself, and my family for a little while.

I just picked J up from the grandparents where he's been a good little sport, but is very clingy, whiney, and refuses to let me out of his sight for more than a second or two. I guess he's afraid I'll disappear again. He's napping now, and then we'll take a trip up to see Dad again. After that I'm going to try and talk Wil into braving it alone tonight so that I can be with J.

***Wil just called to let me know that now they're wanting to push the MRI until tomorrow.***

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger Gretchen said...

Oh, man! I was hoping to find good news. I hope it takes a good turn soon. Thinking good thoughts and sending up prayers for you guys.

And that boss? Pffft!

Huge hugs,
G.

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Well, crap. At least they're going ahead with the MRI, though.
And the boss? What an idiot. Just start slinging around words like "staph" and see if her ears perk up a little.

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Oh wow! I'm sorry to hear about all of this! I hope they can figure it out soon and Wil gets better quickly!

Screw his boss for being an insensitive jerk!

((HUGS)) Hope you all get to go home soon! Let me know if you need anything, I'll be more than happy to come down and help out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home