Saturday, May 05, 2007

Home again, home again, jiggety-jig

I'm a bad blogger for not updating this last night, but the MRI came back negative, and despite the fact that his white count was still elevated, the doctors agreed to release him since he was fever-free and claimed to feel fine.

So, we're home finally. Yippie! We got home late in the afternoon yesterday, and then I had to run to the pharmacy and pick up bandaging supplies, prescriptions, and a new thermometer, since I didn't think Wil would appreciate J's rectal pulling double duty. :) Then I had to hit the grocery store for the basics which had run out or expired in our absence. Then I had to cook dinner (or two different dinners, one for each of my picky boys). Then I had to do the laundry. By that time I was so exhausted all I could do was park myself on the couch and drool. And so I did. I'm not even sure if I got J to sleep before I went offline. But he's asleep now, and I heard no complaints, so I guess all went well.

Today I have to get my butt in gear, go pick bathe and retrieve the dog from the kennel. I can only imagine what a smelly, drooly mess she is. She does NOT do well in the kennel, and since I board her for free as an employee I beg the staff to not go out of their way to bathe the fuzzy beast unless it's necessary, and do it myself when I pick her up.

I'm also going to start finding some new and healthier recipes to try out. You see, the whole time we were in the hospital, every new doctor or nurse that stopped in asked the same question of Wil; "Are you diabetic?"

Well, no he isn't. But it turns out that the doctor says he's a prime candidate for it, given his ethnicity, his weight, and his eating habits. And so, while I can't control what he eats when he's not around me, I CAN start cooking better meals here at home. So, sorry baby, but the rice and beans and fried plantains are coming to a halt. But he's already taking it fairly seriously. Even to the point of voluntarily switching to diet soda, which up until now he has cringed at. I've promised him over and over that if he drinks it for a week he'll never drink regular again, but he hasn't trusted me on it yet. So, leaner protein, more veggies, less carbs, and we'll have him slim, handsome, and healthy in no time.

Anyway, I'm off to get my day started now that J just wobbled across the living room and climbed into my lap. It feels so good to be home.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

I hope being home speeds his healing. I'm sure it won't be easier for you,though! Ha,ha,ha. :)
Good luck with the diet thing. B & I did the DASH diet for awhile (it's mostly a high blood pressure/low salt thing) which was okay, and we also did a "common sense" high doses of fruits & veggies--which really did make us feel a LOT better. The cook in you might like Cooking Light magazine. It's got really gourmet kinds of things, but healthy. I love it!

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Gretchen said...

I started to leave a comment this morning, then got distracted and the computer was hijacked by a short person...

Anyway, I was hoping that no news meant good news. I'm glad that it did.

Try not to wear yourself out! Get some of that snuggle time in with J. I was thinking about you today and Sheep and Wool and wishing you were there. Next year. I'm holding you to it.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Well, I'm glad he was doing better and that he's home now! I hope he has a speedy recovery. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home