Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Learning to be a hooker

There's this really cute pattern that I've been dying to knit for a month or so. It's just a tank top, but it's super cute with cabling and a picot edge around the waist. The reason I haven't started yet is the same reason that I shy away from a lot of projects that I really would love to knit-- It has a *cringe* crochet edging around the neck and arms.

I know I could just go and NOT do the edging called for, but I really like how the pattern looks as is, and besides, I can't let a little hook scare me off forever, can I?

So out came one of the only crochet hooks that I own, which is about 3 sizes smaller than what the ballband on the crappy acrylic yarn calls for. And before any of you acrylic defenders step up, I mean the really crappy, scratchy, 1970's bad stuff. The stuff that you wouldn't donate to an elementary arts and crafts program because you'd be afraid of the kids getting hurt with it.

I practiced and practiced, I worked on getting a somewhat even tension, and when I felt that I had mastered three basic stitches enough to say that I could really crochet if needed, I jumped in feet first to the stitch that the pattern calls for-- the crab stitch. Now maybe it's just that I'm left handed and tend to do everything backwards, but I just can't seem to "get" this stitch. I've watched video tutorials online- some show you twisting the needle around clockwise in a full circle to give the yarn a twist. Others don't. So which way is right?

I'd post pictures of my lame attempts, but the cats unraveled the swatch while I was at the store. Ah well, it's better off under the couch anyway.

The one thing that I can see that is appealing about crochet is that it's FAST! I can understand how it could become addictive to the instant gratification need in us all.

But, I will not come to the dark side, Darth Vader.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Good! You are learning to crochet. I learned that first but never liked it much. I never got the crab stitch either...maybe it is because it goes backwards or something. The thing that sucks most about crochet is that it uses like double the yarn as knitting. I have a ton of crochet hooks if you want. I probably have the size you need, I probably have several of them...Good Luck getting it right!

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Fear the dark side, you must, yessssss....

I can make a crochet chain. And if I have directions in front of me, I can single crochet. That dang crab stitch is worked backwards and my brain doesn't think that way. :P

But, yes, my goodness is it fast!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home