Sunday, September 16, 2007

Long time, no blog

Well, it feels like it, anyways.

Since my last post, life has been pretty hectic. Some of it good, some of it not so much. But we seem to be back on an even keel, I suppose.

Let's see. Where to start.

Wednesday I came home from work to find the shower in the master bath full to the top with (eewwww!) back-flow from the septic tank. Now the good news, if there is such a thing in these matters, is that it was just the grey water and not actual raw sewage. So, I used a small garbage can to bail out as much of the water as I could and resigned myself to the fact that I'd be calling the septic folks in the morning.

Morning arrives and hubby wakes me up to let me know that there's no water in the house again. Yes, the same problem we had the day before we left on our trip. So, now I'm calling the plumber AND the septic people because, don't you know, there's not a company around here that'll do both. Of course not.

As I'm on the phone with the septic folks begging them to please come today and not make me wait until Monday, hubby steps in from outside and says "I need you NOW." Not in that lusty way that you'd like to hear those words, but in that panicky, something's terrible wrong sort of way. Wondering what terrible thing may be waiting for me, I hesitantly step out the front door to find a gloopy glob of what appears to be dead kitten still in it's placenta. Nice.

We suspected that the little stray that's been hanging around might be pregnant, but had no idea she was THAT pregnant already.

Being the strong stomached womanly woman that I am I swallowed back the bile in my throat, and retreated inside to gather the necessary items of kitty disposal. When I returned to do the deed and actually leaned over to pick up the poor kitten, it squeaked a pitiful little mew and kicked one of it's legs. Holy crap! It's not dead!

I wrapped it in a towel, cleaned it as best I could, and placed it in a box while I got myself and J somewhat dressed so I could take it to my office.

Dr. Carraway was an angel, cleaning up the little kitten and tube feeding it. After hearing my woes of the morning, she agreed that the kitten would be best served staying there where a team of techs could help feed it and keep it warm all day.

Then it was the race back home to meet the septic guy and the plumber. We got all of that taken care of to the tune of several (several) hundred bucks. But the good news is, we have empty septic tanks, a new pressure switch on the pump, and snaked drains. We should have no more plumbing problems for the rest of our lives... or at least until next month.

The kitten thrived throughout the day, and J and I returned to pick it up just before the office closed. I was given tube feeding instructions and we returned home to begin our every 1.5 to 2 hour feeding schedule.

I'll admit that I'm not a good kitty surrogate. I tried my best, and things seemed to be going well up until it's 2 a.m. feeding, but by 4 a.m. it was apparent that kitty was not doing so well. She was sluggish, nearly impossible to wake, cold. She was still alive at 7 when I arrived to work and handed her off, thankfully, to the folks that know what they're doing. They did their best, but poor kitty, who was already guaranteed a home with a number of the girls, gave up the fight just before noon. Oh well, I tried. Still, it sort of broke my heart.

Friday night I went home and slept like nobody's business. I was exhausted.

Shall I continue?

Well, I could tell you about the Fiber-In, and I could tell you about the great time I had with Michele hanging out in Cocoa Village, but it seems such a waste to toss it in almost as an afterthought to this depressing post. Besides, it really does deserve a post of it's own.

Tomorrow, perhaps.

But for now it's time I took a shower and got myself ready for bed. J has his first speech therapy session tomorrow at the butt-crack of dawn and he's even worse of a morning person than I am, if that's possible.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger me said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger me said...

Sorry about the kitty, happy your son's starting his class, happy your septic issues are pretty much taken care of, hon. Just checking in to say, "Hey," and everything. Miss you around lately. Glad that's behind ya. *HUGS!*

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Wow you've been busy! I'm sorry to hear about the septic tank (again). Kinda makes me glad I don't own a house. (LOL)

Hearing about the kitty was so sad. After all you and the others did for it and it still didn't make it. :(

I hope J's speech session goes well tomorrow. And hopefully he's not too cranky for you. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home