Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Christmas fiasco

I'm so tired of even thinking about my Christmas plans! I can't wait for it to all be over and for life to get back to normal.

We seem to have something sort of worked out on the whole ticket thing. We're still going to have to shell out a substantial sum of money that we don't really have, but dammit, we're going, and we are getting some help with them. But with all the twists and turns in the reservation thing, we might as well just be buying them outright. Sometimes it's just not worth saving the extra few bucks.

And on top of the whole ticket thing, I'm now faced with the delimma that the kennel is full for the holidays and there's not room for Mo until the 28th. We're slated to leave on the 27th. Unfortunately, I don't think I have a single friend good enough to allow my stupid ass dog spend an evening with them. I'm hoping that one of the girls at work will help me out on this, but I'm not holding my breath. It sucks to impose a dog on anyone, especially one as goofy as mine. I know the cats are fine. Heidi won't mind coming by occasionally and checking on them, and it's not like they need around the clock supervision. They're pretty much loners anyway.

So tickets and dogs are the two main topics right now. I guess I'll just have to go with the flow and take what I can get.

The next huge issue is the gifts that still need to be bought. They have the big red wagon we want for Jonas on sale this week at Target, but alas, we don't have the money for it until Wil gets paid Friday. I'm hoping they'll still have one or two left by then. I mean, how many kids still get Radio Flyers for Christmas?

He's also getting a portable DVD player from Santa. At least, that's what I get from a good source. I don't know how I feel about it, either. I mean, yeah, it's a really cool gift, and it certainly will be a bonus on our flight home, but a 16 month old with his own DVD player? Isn't that a little over the top? But that's the society we live in, I guess.

There are so many things we'd like to get him, and so little in the way of cash. Plus we have to other kids to buy for, and the few adults we can afford. Ugh. Maybe we'll both get decent bonuses this year. I know mine is usually a couple hundred bucks. I'm hoping that stays true. Rumor is that Wil's company gave away $1000 bonuses to their employess last year. Man, what I could do with a grand!

This is the third year in a row that Wil and I haven't been able to buy each other anything. It's not that I mind all that much. There's really nothing I want anyway, but Wil feels like a terrible husband. I mean, no Anniversary gifts, no Birthday gifts, AND no Christmas?! He just doesn't feel right about it at all. So this year we're getting new livingroom furniture. It's something we've both wanted for a very long time. I couldn't be happier.

I'd still like to get him something of his very own. I know he's been lusting after an ipod so that he can listen to music while he's on the road all day in his work van. I wish I knew enough about them to make an educated decision on buying one. Anyone out there have any experience with them?

And finally, I dropped our camcorder off to be serviced today. Hopefully it'll be an easy and inexpensive fix. The bad news is, it's not going to be back from service until the 28th. Of course. Seems like that's just my sort of luck. But I'm sure my brother will bring his to Tennessee, and surely he can copy whatever footage he gets.

But anyway, the kid's taking a late nap. He had his final immunizations this afternoon, and he's all worn out. Hopefully he'll still sleep tonight.

I think I'll go work on the hat I'm knitting him. It's so much fun to be able to make him something that's cute AND useful, since it'll be cold in Memphis.

Just a long ramble about nothing in particular.

Oh, and I might have this furniture out of here tonight. It may not be good enough for Salvation Army, but it sure is good enough for impoverished college students. If you've never checked out Freecycle, you should.

5 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Blogger Vickie said...

That $1,000 bonus comes with almost 40% taxes taken out. I know, I got mine yesterday.

I hope it all works out for you.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Thanks Vickie. Tis the season, eh? BUt I don't think I'd sneeze at $600 either. I've never had my bonus taxed. I mean, sure, I suppose I should claim it at the end of the year, but the doctors always write it as a separate check from the clinic's operating account instead of running it through with our paychecks, so it doesn't reflect to the IRS. I guess they just figure we can do as we wish, and it's none of their business.

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ipods: the nano's are probably the best value for money right now - super small and very cool. Unless Wil is a total music fanatic (I have friends who say they need to keep more than 15,000 songs in rotation lol) then these are perfect. You can get 500 song or 1000 song models. Take a look at the prices here, although you might find them cheaper on amazon or elsewhere: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=iPodx

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and also, you can have them engraved with a personal name/message for free right now too ;)

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Jim, you're my hero on this one. Thanks for the info. I had heard that maybe the nano wasn't such a great product, but I know nothing about them. I've got a friend that still works at Best Buy, so I might be able to get one on employee discount, which means probably $50 off or something like that, if she's willing to bend the rules for me. We'll see. Of course, if I buy it in store, I won't get the cool engraving, but I've got a dremel tool. :) Thanks again

 

Post a Comment

<< Home