Monday, December 12, 2005

Sick Babies and Grout

That's what my weekend was filled with.

Jonas is sick... still. Seems to be that time of year. I'm hoping we don't have a repat of last year with all of our hospital visits and tests. Right now it looks like just your run of the mill winter cold type thing, but poor baby! His eyes are all crusted shut, and the nose, it's like a little green faucet. Nice, eh?

Oh, I could go on. I could tell you about the explosive diarrhea that had us running from a restaraunt table Saturday evening, and ended in laundering an entire wardrobe of his, and my, clothes, a carseat, a can of lysol and some upholstry cleaner for my car. But why get all graphic. Those of you with kids have all had similar experiences once or twice, I'm sure. Those of you that don't: you're fortunate in that respect. I don't think we'll be welcomed back to that particular eatery any time soon.

I did manage to finish getting my tile grouted yesterday. I've got the open wounds on my hands to prove it. Grout and my skin don't agree with one another, apparently. Yes, I wore gloves Laura, but they just got heavy and kept sliding off, so I gave up on them. I'll heal, and we have a shower again, so I'm not complaining. Ok, well, I've got to wait until next week to put the sealer on, and THEN we'll have a shower, but we're that much closer. And once I get all the drywall seams taken care of that aren't in the shower, and I get a fresh coat of paint in there, maybe we can finally get down to business on that refinance and I can have money in my bank account again. As far as I can figure, we're about $1000 in the hole on the bathroom project. That's more than twice what I had set aside. So from now on, whatever estimate I come up with for a project, I'll double.

And the projects: they just keep piling up. Found out over the weekend that apparently both the kitchen sink and the guest bathroom sink have been leaking. Looks like we'll be replacing cabinets and plumbing that weren't originally slated for repair. And that's going to take away from some of the wanted-but-not-urgent things, like my expanded laundry room and my porch. But that's ok.

You see, we've sort of been given the inside scoop on a new development that's going to start in February. Apparently, from our rather reliable source, they're going to start selling the homes/lots for around $160,000. Every week after opening they'll go up by $2000. If this turns out to be true, we're jumping in. Why not, when older, smaller homes in not as wonderful areas are going for $40-60,000 more? And we'd have city water, sidewalks, streetlights and backyards for our son. I'm no fan of cookie-cutter neighborhoods that look like they belong in an Edward Scissorhands sort of movie, but I think it's ideal for J-man, and they seem rather popular because that's what everyone is buying. So, if nothing else, the resale on it will be huge when we can't take it anymore. The first phase of this same development, which started about 3 years ago, is now selling for nearly half a million. Good lord! Could you imagine paying that much for a 3-4 bedroom house on a quarter acre lot? Me neither.

So we've got the moving bug up our asses again. We'll see. We've got a lot to do before then.

Ok, so weekend's over. I'm working six days this week, and I haven't hardly made a dent in my holiday shopping. And we haven't even taken the tree out of the shed! Ugh! Maybe it'll be an Easter tree? But I'm not overly stressed about it, really. Sometimes you just have to take life as it comes. Tomorrow I'll start my day in the pediatrician's office with my sick little boy, and finish off my day with eight or nine hours of reception hell. But Wednesday, barring any other catastrophe, I'm hitting the stores. (Just saying that gives me the creeps)

Ok, so off to scrounge some dinner, get my son into bed, and maybe start a new knitting project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home