Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Progress and Change






The lot next door is naked now. Stripped bare. They didn't leave a thing. Apparently the trees that I thought were on my property were actually right on the property line because I came home yesterday and they were all gone, save for the one left in the pictures. It looks so lonely and bare all by itself, bare on the side where it stood with it's mates all these years. I sort of wish they'd taken that one too, just for symmetry.

But that's progress for you. They come in, strip it bare, build a house on an unsettled foundation of sand, and call it an improvement. They even took my aloe plants that were growing on the boundary line. I'll miss them. But I suppose I should focus on the positive. We'll have a brand new house next door. Something with high value. I guess that'll improve our property value in some way. Either that, or it'll make our house look like more of a dump. Either way, not much I can do about it, except miss the privacy we've enjoyed all these years.


In other news, my friend Mary had her baby yesterday morning. She was a quick delivery- only 36 minutes of labor! I'm insanely jealous! So welcome little Devonne! Wil was able to sneak a visit in on his way to work yesterday, She says the baby is beautiful, Mary is exhausted and Adam, the dad, is a big mushy mess. I couldn't be happier for them. I was going to try to visit today, but I don't think dragging Jonas to the maternity floor is a great idea. Especially since he's all snotty right now. Besides, I know how I wish people had just given me some time alone after Jonas's birth. My room was like a circus! Maybe I'll wait until she's been discharged and I'll show up with some dinner or something.

And as far a changes go... I made the mistake of buying Jonas generic Claritin this week. You'd think that by now I'd know better than to try and cut any corners with him! Ever since we switched he's been sneezing and coughing and feeling miserable. So we had to go and buy a bottle of the real stuff today. It's amazing to me that the generic stuff doesn't seem to help at all, even though it's the exact same ingredients. I feel like a bad mommy, though, putting a couple of bucks before my son's health. Won't make that mistake again.

And finally, I've cast on for a little backback for Jonas. He loves to try and carry his own diaper bag, but it's too big for him to manage. I thought he'd really love having a little bag of his own to take along when we go places. Of course, at the slow rate that I've been knitting lately, I may never get it finished. :)

Oh yeah, if the pictures I've posted look like crap I have no idea. Either my video card or my monitor is getting ready to croak. All of my colors are wrong, and everything is dark. If it's the video card, I guess that new computer we've wanted for so long is going to become a reality a little sooner. Wil doesn't want to sink any more money into this shitbox we've got. To be fair, we've had it for about five years. That's not bad for today's disposable technology, I suppose.

We'll probably build a desktop on our own rather than buying one at the store. But I'm dreaming of laptops. I've wanted one forever, and if we're going to make the leap into a new computer, maybe now is the chance to do that. And it'd be so nice to get rid of this monstrosity of a desk!

Anyone out there have an opinion on trashing the desktop alltogether and just having a laptop? Reality tells me that I'll probably want a desktop, even if I do get a laptop.

Anyway, J-man's napping and I'm going to try and get a little more work done on this backpack.

2 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Blogger me said...

Photos look great here at work and at home, Angie. That is the way the end of the street looked when my sister and brother-in-law had their home built about ten or eleven years ago. Their's was the first home at the end of their block. Then two or three more homes followed. Progress and change. Peace and hugs!

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If possible, buy a Mac - yes they are more expensive, but they last longer and won't caus you so much pain in terms of having to patch windows every 10 minutes or delete spyware all the time. And besides, everything is just so much simpler and better looking on a mac :) If you do end up buying another PC I'd ask Wil to consider installing Linux instead of Windows - if he's a true nerd he'll enjoy the experience and won't look back.

As for the tree killers, I really don't get it. Laura and I had some lovely trees outside our apt in Toledo that were just chopped down one day for no apparant reason - made the whole building look more of an eye-sore than it already was. Strange business decision.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home