Sunday, January 22, 2006

Better

Yesterday started out as a repeat of Friday. Wil got called out to a patient's house at 5:00 am, and didn't make it home in time to take over Jonas so I could be at work at 7:30. So I had to call up my parents at the ungodly hour of 6 to beg for a babysitter. I really hate doing that, ya know. Pawning my kid off on the spur of the moment like that. I'd almost rather not go to work at all, but there's only three of us on Saturday, so I didn't have a choice, really.

They were kind enough to take him, even though they'd had no sleep themselves. Ugh. I know what a terror Jman can be. But they said that he was good, and he was napping when I got out of work, so I guess it wasn't all bad. I even managed to get a little knitting done while he was napping.

Last night Wil, Jonas and I went and had dinner at this little Latino restaurant in town. It's a tiny little place with old cafeteria style tables and benches and gaudy laminated postcards on the walls for decoration, but the food is incredibly good, and the people there are even better. It was a very relaxing and enjoyable dinner.

They even had three guys with guitars playing some classic Puerto Rican (I guess you'd call them folk) songs. Jonas was in love! He'd clap and dance along and they ate up every bit of his attention, coming over and playing just for him.

The food was great. I had a pastelon de pollo (a dish made with layers of mashed plantain, chicken and vegetables) with beans and rice. Wil had bistec con cebolla (skirt steak with onions) rice and beans and tostones (fried green plantains that are squashed flat and fried again). Jonas ate most of my beans and rice, and even sipped on dad's Malta, which, if you've ever tasted it, you'll know why I'm surprised. It's certainly an acquired taste!

The thing I loved most about dinner last night was the fact that they really catered to Jonas. Most of the time when we go out to eat, and I've found this to be true of all people with young kids, they only seat you in the back corner where your kid is not likely to disturb other diners. Don't get me wrong, I'd never take Jonas to some upscale, linens on the table kind of place because I do have some level of decency and respect, but I'm talking restaurants that are noisy, crowded, big chain family type restaurants. We've even been denied seating at one place in town, even though there were tables open, simply because they weren't in the "kid zone".

So to go to a place so small, not owned by any corporate beasts, and to be treated so well was quite a refreshing reminder that the whole world hasn't gone sour. Our waitress even took Jonas's sippy cup to the back and washed it for us before refilling it with a different beverage. Just a little thing, but certainly going out of her way. And the musicians really treated him like royalty. Jonas really believed that they were there just for him.

After dinner we went to Target and picked up a few things, and then home we came.

Jonas was wound up so tight last night that he didn't even fall asleep until after 11 pm! Ugh! So much for getting anything done around here. But that's ok. The house isn't that bad. I just need to catch up on the never-ending laundry.

And on tap for today? I've gotta hit up the craft store, and maybe the shoe store since Jonas seems to ruin a pair of shoes a week. Sunday night dinner at the parents, and then early to bed for work in the morning.

Hope y'all are enjoying your weekend, too.

1 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger me said...

Sounds like most of your weekend, Angie, was very memorable and relaxing, which is a good thing. I'm certain being treated "as" a family and being treated "like" family in a restaraunt - for young couples such as yourselves - is a treat, relief and simply gives an evening a whole different palor. Sure sounded that way from your post. Well, I'm glad and happy for yas, the little guy included!

My best to you and thanks as always for visiting my blogspot. Have a great week, girl and don't sweat the stuff left-over from the weekend. Time will make time for all that this week. Rest assured and hang tough! Hugs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home