Thursday, May 18, 2006

Garden Gnomes, Socks and Long Days

Wow! Today was one of those days that totally reaffirmed the fact that I'm making the right decision by leaving my job. I'm not one of those people that takes anything lightly. I often agonize over things as simple as what to eat, so when it came time for me to say "Yep, it's time to quit. Time to stay home and be a Mommy and nothing else for a little while." I lost a lot of sleep over it. Still do, to be honest.

Today Dr. G. had me officially sign my resignation paperwork. I never thought that something like that would be so hard or seem so final. It's scary. I mean, I've done the math- I know we can live without my salary. I know that it's going to benefit Jonas in huge ways- but it's still a little unnerving to know that after the 30th I'm not going to have any demands on me- nowhere to be at 6:30 in the morning. You'd think I'd enjoy the idea of less stress, right?

The day itself was rough, too. Bad clients, long hours, grumpy co-workers. Or maybe I was the grumpy one- and to top it off, the drawer was $20 short. Interesting coincidence on my closing night when I'm getting ready to leave, eh?

On the bright side- at our monthly staff meetings we always do a drawing. One of the drug companies provides two folks a month with a $50 gift certificate to the store of thier choice. I won this month. So, as my parting gift, I'll finally be getting myself a new pair of shoes- courtesy of Merial. Thank you very much! I've been wearing the same shoes since I was pregnant with J. I just hate shelling out big bucks for shoes. So it'll be nice to indulge myself at someone else's expense.

Ok, so onto other stuff.

Jonas has really enjoyed helping me in the yard. Every afternoon when we get home we take time to water the new plants and pull the weeds around them. It's not a lot of work or anything, but Jonas finds it to be a lot of fun. Wil has also taken the spreader thing out of the shed in preparation of scattering some grass seed to fill in all the dead patches from the drought. Here are some really cute pictures of J pushing the spreader with Puppy- his favorite stuffed animal.




It was really cute watching him try to figure out how to carry puppy AND push the spreader at the same time.

And in another strange turn of events- Jonas actually ate vegetables willingly yesterday! Zucchini and tomatoes that I was cutting up to go in a pasta salad.



And finally- the socks. I haven't been able to get a whole lot done on them because I've been so busy, but here's what I've got so far- one row short of three repeats. I think they look great. Maybe this weekend I can actually get more than twenty minutes of free time, eh?



But for now, it's J's bedtime, and we've got an early morning ahead of us, so I think I might just crash along with him.

G'night y'all.

7 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger Eve said...

That second pic with Puppy in the spreader is adorable! (Well, they all are, really!) And I hear you about the whole quiting work to be a SAHM thing. I was *this* close to seriously considering reenlisting. HA! Then some stupid stuff happened, and I was like "Oh, yeah, that's why I don't want to be in the Army anymore!". I definitely hear ya!! Hope you have a great night! The socks look great!!

 
At 3:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks are looking fantastic! I'm finding mine a bit challenging still, but I'm not giving up.

Staying at home with my kids has been the hardest, funnest, nerve-wracking, most rewarding thing I've ever done.

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Katrina,
Thanks for the encouragement on staying at home with the munchkin. I'm sure that I'll love it, once I get used to the idea of not having a job. It's just a weird adjustment.

The part of the sock I'm on now doesn't seem challenging, aside from the sheer size of the thing, and all of the needles getting in the way. I guess I haven't really learned a good technique for dpn's yet. It's like trying to gently coax a hedgehog into strange yoga positions at times. :)

Eve, he's pretty cute, isn't he? :) I can't believe that you considered reinlistment, even for a second. I'm glad you regained your senses. How's staying at home working for you so far? Anthony's so lucky to have only spent a short time with a sitter. Good for you! I'm proud.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger westcoastmama said...

Oh, man...these pics are great. Geez. Time goes by so fast. Your socks are going to be awesome. They look beautiful so far.

Enjoy your time with Jonas, Ang. I got to stay home with my four for almost 12 years and I wouldn't change that for the world. As it is, now that they're teenagers, they seem to need me more! Thankfully I work right across the street. Have a great weekend, hon.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

I understand how scary not having a schedule can be. I like to think that I enjoy being lazy (and I do to some extent), but I found that I really am happier when I have a schedule. Even just a small thing like signing up for a class or playgroup that meets regularly can help you get your days straight (is it Friday already?). *grin* Takes a little time to get in your groove, but it's so worth it! :)
*And WOW do those socks look great! Yippee!

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Being at home is going pretty well so far. I'm not "offically" a SAHM yet, I'm "supposed" to go to work, but don't because I "don't have a babysitter". :-) Man, there are SO many loopholes in the Army, you just have to find them! I'm still waiting for some big wig signature to release me. Honestly, I haven't gone to work in about a month or so. ;-) And yeah, about 2 months ago, maybe a week or two after I returned to work from maternity leave, I got into a groove with physical training and pumping and work... I thought, I could take a few more years of this (and they dangled a nice little bonus in front of my face). But then they started treating us like little children again and I am 21 almost 22 years old, have children of my own... if I wanted to be treated like a kid, I would move back in with my mother!
*sigh*

sorry for the rant! To sum it up, the Army's just not for me. ;-) And along with what MSU Bulldog said, you gotta get a schedule, even if it's a loose one. I still haven't, and I didn't know today was Friday until she mentioned it!

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Congratulations on coming home! It will be hard and some days you will wonder why you are doing it, while most days you won't be able to imagine doing it any other way. I have been home for 14+ years and love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home