Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Hi Ho!

Yep, I'm going back to work.

God, just that sentence sends chills of dread down my spine.

The good news is, I'm going back to work and I'm doing it on my own terms. You see, a few weeks ago I ran into an old co-worker from the vet's office at the hardware store. She was telling me how they were kind of in a pinch because one of the two girls that they hired to take my place (yes, it took two!) was leaving, and that two people were going on vacation at the same time. I offered to fill in if they needed a little help that week, no strings attached, just pay me for the hours I work and we won't worry about going through the rehire process, etc.

She talked it over with the other girls, and I got a call the day before yesterday asking me to work the week of Thanksgiving. Sure, why not? My parents are going to be going to Tennessee that week, and Wil's family doesn't really do Thanksgiving- not in the traditional sense. And even if I work that week, I'll still have the holiday off. So, right now I'm confirmed to work starting the 17th, and three days of the following week.

I think we may also have it worked out for the first week of December, too. And possibly a regular schedule of just two afternoons per week.

While I'm sort of tied in knots over going back to work- especially in such a high-stress environment, I think it's going to work out great for me, and for J. I mean, two afternoons a week is a great schedule for us. I don't have to drag him out of bed at such an ungodly hour of the morning, he gets to spend a little time with Abuela, and we still have a lot of time together.

I made it very clear that I don't want any more than 20 hours a week. When I came back part time after J was born, my 25 hours a week quickly turned into 30, then 35, then 35 with constant requests for me to cover someone's day off, etc. I'm not willing to do that again.

Truth is, we need the extra income, but not badly enough for me to sacrifice my time with J, and certainly not enough for me to put him back in daycare!

I'll find out today what my regular shifts will be. For this month I'll probably work Fridays and Saturdays, since those are the days that no one wants. I'm great with that. They close early on Fridays and Saturdays are from 8-12, which usually getts us out of there by 2 once paperwork is done.

Anyway, that's the latest news from around here.

Jonas had a much better time giving out candy last night than he did actually trick-or-treating for himself. He just didn't seem to get the purpose of going house to house and knocking on doors. But he loved sitting in Abuela's livingroom waiting for the doorbell. It would ring and he'd yell "Hold on!" and he'd go running for the door, dragging a bag of candy behind him. Cute!

I'll post pictures later.

4 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you've worked out a pretty good arrangement for yourself, this time on your terms. A little bit of time away from the kids actually makes you appreciate the time you spend at home with them all the more. Good for you.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Thank goodness it's on your terms and just a few days a week, though. :)
I got the giggles imagining Jonas yelling, "Hold On!" *chuckle*

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Mother Raven said...

That sounds wonderful. Just remember to hold your terms and you should do just fine. Also haveing the no strings attached and feeling free and knowing you can leave anytime helps with the stress levels quite a bit I think.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger westcoastmama said...

oh, very nice. Hang tough, Ang. We all know how one can be sucked in SO quickly. =) Best of luck! It's a toughy going back to work when you'd been able to stay home for any amount of time. *hug*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home