Saturday, November 04, 2006

You've been holding out on me

Why didn't any of you knitters tell me that knitting gloves was so much fun? I finished the first of a pair of fingerless gloves that were requested by my step mom today. Well, almost finished. She wants them to be convertible mittens, and so I still need to create the mitten flap. I found that knitting it was actually a lot of fun, and quite a bit easier than I expected.

Despite the fun I had, I'm not very pleased with the final result. This is the first project that I've encountered laddering on. Maybe it's a problem more common when using worsted weight yarn? I was able to correct it, to some degree, by inserting a needle into each stitch and gently tugging to even out the space. Still, it's not as smooth as I'd like it to be. I also had a hard time with gaps between each of the fingers, even with doing a C2F at each gap to sort of close it up. Not sure how to overcome that. I used my ends to sort of go back over them and close them, too. And there were some gaps in the thumb gusset, but I know what I did wrong there, and know how to correct it next time around. I may frog this one completely and start over, but I think I'll work on making a second one first and see if I do any better.

Maybe there's some mysterious glove knitting clan that is reading this and can address all of my problems?

Here's a picture of the finished (almost finished) first glove. I added a bit of moss stitch to each of the fingers for a little interest. I stole, er borrowed, this idea after seeing Gretchen do it with a pair of Fetching that she recently finished. I like it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And here's a picture of some of the other things that have recently graced, or are currently gracing the needles. My first foray into lace with this Branching Out scarf. I think I mistakenly called this a "Falling Leaves" pattern. Got so many patterns in mind right now, it's hard to keep the names straight. :) There's the flop of a hat requested by Wil. Haven't gotten around to frogging it yet. There's the replacement Tychus which only got 4 of it's 5 wedges due to yarn shortage. Had I frogged the flop hat first, I would have had enough, but I think the 4 wedges is large enough. And my stand-by side project- J's little blue socks.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So, that's what's going on around here.

2 Comments:

At 9:47 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Very cute!

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Wow--I think you're doing enough knitting for both of us! :)
Glad you didn't ask me about the gloves because I hate knitting them. The fingers take forever! To prevent holes between fingers, the patterns I've used have you pick up a stitch from the neighboring finger when you cast on. And then if there's still a gap I fill it in with my yarn ends. Not sure what to do about the ladders other than Magic Loop. :) Btw, what's C2F? Are you doing a mini-cable?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home